Subject: RFC 9170 on Long-Term Viability of Protocol Extension Mechanisms

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 11:58:28 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9170

        Title:      Long-Term Viability of Protocol Extension 
                    Mechanisms 
        Author:     M. Thomson,
                    T. Pauly
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IAB
        Date:       December 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-use-it-or-lose-it-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9170

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9170

The ability to change protocols depends on exercising the extension
and version-negotiation mechanisms that support change.  This
document explores how regular use of new protocol features can ensure
that it remains possible to deploy changes to a protocol. Examples
are given where lack of use caused changes to be more difficult or
costly.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC