Subject: Protocol Action: 'Fast Failover in Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM) Using Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) for Multipoint Networks' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pim-bfd-p2mp-use-case-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 09:59:22 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Fast Failover in Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM)
   Using Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) for Multipoint
   Networks'
  (draft-ietf-pim-bfd-p2mp-use-case-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Protocols for IP Multicast Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, John Scudder and Martin Vigoureux.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-bfd-p2mp-use-case/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies how Bidirectional Forwarding Detection for
   multipoint networks can provide sub-second failover for routers that
   participate in Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM).
   An extension to the PIM Hello message used to bootstrap a point-to-
   multipoint BFD session is also defined in this document.

Working Group Summary

   The draft was developed for over 2 years and when it came time 
    for WGLC there was full consensus.

Document Quality

   There was a thorough review by individuals representing multiple 
   vendors. But there are no implementations currently.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Mike McBride
  Area Director: Alvaro Retana