Subject: Moved to Historic: RFC 2169 on A Trivial Convention for using HTTP in URN Resolution

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 21:49:23 -0800 (PST)

RFC 2169 has been reclassified as Historic.

        RFC 2169

        Title:      A Trivial Convention for using 
                    HTTP in URN Resolution 
        Author:     R. Daniel
        Status:     Historic
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 1997   
        Pages:      9
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc2169

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC2169

The Uniform Resource Names Working Group (URN-WG) was formed to
specify persistent, location-independent names for network accessible
resources, as well as resolution mechanisms to retrieve the resources
given such a name. At this time the URN-WG is considering one
particular resolution mechanism, the NAPTR proposal [1]. That
proposal specifies how a client may find a "resolver" for a URN. A
resolver is a database that can provide information about the
resource identified by a URN, such as the resource's location, a
bibliographic description, or even the resource itself. The protocol
used for the client to communicate with the resolver is not specified
in the NAPTR proposal.  Instead, the NAPTR resource record provides a
field that indicates the "resolution protocol" and "resolution
service requests" offered by the resolver.

This document specifies the "THTTP" resolution protocol - a trivial
convention for encoding resolution service requests and responses as
HTTP 1.0 or 1.1 requests and responses.  The primary goal of THTTP is
to be simple to implement so that existing HTTP servers may easily
add support for URN resolution. We expect that the databases used by
early resolvers will be useful when more sophisticated resolution
protocols are developed later.

This document is a product of the Uniform Resource Names Working Group of the IETF.

HISTORIC: This memo defines a Historic Document for the Internet
community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC