Subject: RFC 9140 on Nimble Out-of-Band Authentication for EAP (EAP-NOOB)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 12:30:02 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9140

        Title:      Nimble Out-of-Band Authentication for EAP 
                    (EAP-NOOB) 
        Author:     T. Aura,
                    M. Sethi,
                    A. Peltonen
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      51
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-emu-eap-noob-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9140

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9140

The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) provides support for
multiple authentication methods. This document defines the EAP-NOOB
authentication method for nimble out-of-band (OOB) authentication and
key derivation. The EAP method is intended for bootstrapping all
kinds of Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices that have no preconfigured
authentication credentials. The method makes use of a user-assisted,
one-directional, out-of-band (OOB) message between the peer device
and authentication server to authenticate the in-band key exchange.
The device must have a nonnetwork input or output interface, such as
a display, microphone, speaker, or blinking light, that can send or
receive dynamically generated messages of tens of bytes in length.

This document is a product of the EAP Method Update Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC