Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-open-policy-17.txt> (Route Leak Prevention and Detection using Roles in UPDATE and OPEN Messages) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 15:29:20 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Inter-Domain Routing WG (idr) to
consider the following document: - 'Route Leak Prevention and Detection using
Roles in UPDATE and OPEN
   Messages'
  <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-open-policy-17.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-12-17. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Route leaks are the propagation of BGP prefixes that violate
   assumptions of BGP topology relationships, e.g., announcing a route
   learned from one transit provider to another transit provider or a
   lateral (i.e., non-transit) peer or announcing a route learned from
   one lateral peer to another lateral peer or a transit provider.
   These are usually the result of misconfigured or absent BGP route
   filtering or lack of coordination between autonomous systems (ASes).
   Existing approaches to leak prevention rely on marking routes by
   operator configuration, with no check that the configuration
   corresponds to that of the eBGP neighbor, or enforcement that the two
   eBGP speakers agree on the relationship.  This document enhances the
   BGP OPEN message to establish an agreement of the relationship on
   each eBGP session between autonomous systems in order to enforce
   appropriate configuration on both sides.  Propagated routes are then
   marked according to the agreed relationship, allowing both prevention
   and detection of route leaks.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-open-policy/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

The document contains these normative downward references.
See RFC 3967 for additional information: 
    rfc7908: Problem Definition and Classification of BGP Route Leaks (Informational - Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF))
    rfc7938: Use of BGP for Routing in Large-Scale Data Centers (Informational - Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF))