Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dprive-dnsoquic-08.txt> (DNS over Dedicated QUIC Connections) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 06:53:28 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the DNS PRIVate Exchange WG (dprive) to
consider the following document: - 'DNS over Dedicated QUIC Connections'
  <draft-ietf-dprive-dnsoquic-08.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2022-01-25. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes the use of QUIC to provide transport privacy
   for DNS.  The encryption provided by QUIC has similar properties to
   that provided by TLS, while QUIC transport eliminates the head-of-
   line blocking issues inherent with TCP and provides more efficient
   packet loss recovery than UDP.  DNS over QUIC (DoQ) has privacy
   properties similar to DNS over TLS (DoT) specified in RFC7858, and
   latency characteristics similar to classic DNS over UDP.  This
   specification describes the use of DNS over QUIC as a general-purpose
   transport for DNS and includes the use of DNS over QUIC for stub to
   recursive, recursive to authoritative, and zone transfer scenarios.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dprive-dnsoquic/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.