Subject: Protocol Action: 'S/MIME signature verification extension to JMAP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-jmap-smime-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 06:12:55 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'S/MIME signature verification extension to JMAP'
  (draft-ietf-jmap-smime-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the JSON Mail Access Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy and Francesca Palombini.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jmap-smime/

Technical Summary

  This spec extends the JMAP Mail Protocol (RFC8621) with a way to
  obtain information about S/MIME signature verification status.

Working Group Summary

  This document originally included both the verification and the
  creation of S/MIME signatures, but was split into two documents
  and this one is just the verification part.

  The main discussion was around cached validation status and being
  able to know if the server successfully validated the message in
  the past once a key has expired.

  There was also discussion about whether there was any point in
  describing what specifically caused validation to fail, or just
  a simple yes/no on validity.

  This document was discussed in multiple IETF sessions, as well as
  on the mailing list, and everybody was happy with the end result.

Document Quality

  This spec is easy to implement for a server which already validates
  S/MIME.  It can either store information or always calculate in
  real-time.  It uses the standard JMAP extension mechanism to add
  new data items to the existing Email object, so will be familiar
  to anybody who has implemented JMAP.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd - Bron Gondwana (EXTRA co-chair)
  Responsible Area Director - Murray Kucherawy