Subject: RFC 9124 on A Manifest Information Model for Firmware Updates in Internet of Things (IoT) Devices

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 11:52:58 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9124

        Title:      A Manifest Information Model for Firmware Updates
                    in Internet of Things (IoT) Devices
        Author:     B. Moran,
                    H. Tschofenig,
                    H. Birkholz
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2022
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      40
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-suit-information-model-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9124

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9124

Vulnerabilities with Internet of Things (IoT) devices have raised the
need for a reliable and secure firmware update mechanism that is also
suitable for constrained devices. Ensuring that devices function and
remain secure over their service lifetime requires such an update
mechanism to fix vulnerabilities, update configuration settings, and
add new functionality.

One component of such a firmware update is a concise and
machine-processable metadata document, or manifest, that describes
the firmware image(s) and offers appropriate protection. This
document describes the information that must be present in the
manifest.

This document is a product of the Software Updates for Internet of Things Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC