Subject: BCP 235, RFC 9210 on DNS Transport over TCP - Operational Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 13:42:08 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 235        
        RFC 9210

        Title:      DNS Transport over TCP - 
                    Operational Requirements 
        Author:     J. Kristoff,
                    D. Wessels
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2022
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Updates:    RFC 1123, RFC 1536
        See Also:   BCP 235

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-tcp-requirements-15.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9210

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9210

This document updates RFCs 1123 and 1536.  This document requires the
operational practice of permitting DNS messages to be carried over
TCP on the Internet as a Best Current Practice.  This operational
requirement is aligned with the implementation requirements in RFC
7766.  The use of TCP includes both DNS over unencrypted TCP as well
as over an encrypted TLS session.  The document also considers the
consequences of this form of DNS communication and the potential
operational issues that can arise when this Best Current Practice is
not upheld.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC