Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-subcerts-12.txt> (Delegated Credentials for (D)TLS) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 06:45:15 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Layer Security WG (tls) to
consider the following document: - 'Delegated Credentials for (D)TLS'
  <draft-ietf-tls-subcerts-12.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2022-04-08. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The organizational separation between the operator of a (D)TLS
   endpoint and the certification authority can create limitations.  For
   example, the lifetime of certificates, how they may be used, and the
   algorithms they support are ultimately determined by the
   certification authority.  This document describes a mechanism to to
   overcome some of these limitations by enabling operators to delegate
   their own credentials for use in (D)TLS without breaking
   compatibility with peers that do not support this specification.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-subcerts/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.