Subject: RFC 9217 on Current Open Questions in Path-Aware Networking

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:57:12 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9217

        Title:      Current Open Questions in Path-Aware Networking 
        Author:     B. Trammell
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       March 2022
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-panrg-questions-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9217

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9217

In contrast to the present Internet architecture, a path-aware
internetworking architecture has two important properties: it exposes
the properties of available Internet paths to endpoints, and it
provides for endpoints and applications to use these properties to
select paths through the Internet for their traffic. While this
property of "path awareness" already exists in many
Internet-connected networks within single domains and via
administrative interfaces to the network layer, a fully path-aware
internetwork expands these concepts across layers and across the
Internet.

This document poses questions in path-aware networking, open as of
2021, that must be answered in the design, development, and
deployment of path-aware internetworks. It was originally written to
frame discussions in the Path Aware Networking Research Group
(PANRG), and has been published to snapshot current thinking in this
space.

This document is a product of the Path Aware Networking RG of the IRTF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce, rfc-dist and IRTF-Announce lists.To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
  https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC