Subject: [Ietf-community-india] Closing keynote panel & 5G track @ Connections 2020

From: IIESoc <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 09:34:55 +0530

Hi,

We will end #Connections2020 with a bang, a closing keynote panel, and the
5G track at 20:30 PM IST tonight!

   - India and Future of Internet: Deepak Maheshwari (moderator), Rajat
   Kathuria (ICRIER), Dheeraj Sanghi (PEC), Anil Jain (NIXI), and Glenn
   McNight (VSIG)
   - 5G for an IP Engineer, a tutorial by Sridhar Bhaskaran, Altiostar
   - IETF Network Slicing & its realization by Dhruv Dhody & Srihari Sangli

Register now - https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_JDW3wBHjQzKffziRdtfPrA

More Information - https://www.connections.iiesoc.in/

--

India and Future of Internet

India already has 750 million Internet connections and yet has the largest
unconnected population. Hence, standards bodies need to factor in the
Internet users and usage in countries like India. Accordingly, this panel
will discuss standardization activity such as languages, security, privacy
and encryption.

Anil Jain, CEO, NIXI

Mr. Anil Kumar Jain is the CEO of National Internet Exchange of India
(NIXI).
He has almost four decades of experience in the technology sector, as an
 Indian Telecommunications Service (ITS) officer having worked in senior
roles across Department of Telecommunications, BSNL and MTNL for more than
35 years.
He graduated in engineering and a post graduate in management.

Glenn McKnight, Chief Information Officer, Virtual School of Internet
Governance

Glenn is currently the Information officer for the  Virtual School of
Internet Governance and cofounder of the North American School of Internet
Governance. He has been active in Internet Governance issues with the
Southern school, African school  and the Indian schools.  He has been a
Internet Society Board of Trustee and a founder of the  Internet Society of
Canada.  Also he has been active since 2009 with ICANN as the Chair,
Secretariat and NOMCOM member of  NARALO,  North American At Large
Organization. He has been active in IEEE with the Humanitarian Technology
Challenge which spun off to become the  Smart Villages and the Humanitarian
Activities Committee.   He is the current chair for the Toronto section for
IEEE SIGHT. He also is a editor of the Blockchains and Cyptocurrencies
International Journal . He has been active in promoting digital literacy
and capacity building for more than twenty years which included work with
the Linux Professional Institute which brought him to  the UN to speak on
digital capacity and Open Source.

Dr. Rajat Kathuria, Director & Chief Executive, ICRIER

Rajat Kathuria is Director and Chief Executive at Indian Council for
Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER), New Delhi. He has
over 20 years experience in teaching and 15 years experience in economic
policy, besides research interests on a range of issues relating to
regulation and competition policy. He has worked with the World Bank,
Washington DC as a Consultant and carried out research assignments for a
number of international organizations, including ILO, UNCTAD, LirneAsia,
World Bank and ADB. He has published in international and national
journals, besides in popular magazines and newspapers. He is founder member
of Broadband Society for Universal Access and served on the Board of Delhi
Management Association. He is on several government committees and on the
research advisory council of SBI. He has an undergraduate degree in
Economics from St. Stephens College, a Masters from Delhi School of
Economics and a PhD degree from the University of Maryland, College Park.

Dr Dheeraj Sanghi, Punjab Engineering College & IIT Kanpur

Dr. Dheeraj Sanghi is a Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at
IIT Kanpur, currently on leave and working as Director, Punjab Engineering
College Chandigarh. Prior to this, he has held important roles in several
institutions including Director of LN Mittal Institute of IT, Jaipur, Dean
of External Relations at IIIT Delhi, and Dean of Academic Affairs at IIT
Kanpur. He has given seminars about IPv6 in more than 100 organizations.
His group at IITK implemented IPv6 in Linux way back in 1996. He writes a
popular blog on higher education issues in India.

Deepak Maheshwari, Senior Visiting Fellow at ICRIER and Distinguished
Fellow at CUTS

Deepak Maheshwari is a public policy consultant with a keen interest in the
interplay of technological innovation and socio-economic development. A
thought leader, a prolific author and an oft-invited speaker, he has served
as the global chair of IEEE Internet Initiative and as the secretary of ISP
Association of India. He co-founded the National Internet Exchange of India
(NIXI) and the ITU-APT Foundation of India. A graduate in engineering from
Indian Institute of Technology, he is also a law graduate and has led
public policy at Microsoft, MasterCard, Symantec and Sify for over two
decades with responsibilities spanning India, ASEAN and China.

--

5G for an IP Engineer

This tutorial will introduce the 5G System Architecture, the network
topology, and describe the life of a packet in a 5G network for different
use cases. The talk will also briefly cover the Myths surrounding 5G and
try to set the reality straight. The role of IETF technologies in 5G would
be of special interest.

Sridhar Bhaskaran, Altiostar

Sridhar Bhaskaran, is involved in the wireless and telecommunications
industry for 18 years. He has played various roles – as a developer,
software architect, system architect, standards and industry relations and
product management. He was an active contributor to 3GPP standards between
2013 and 2019 and has been involved with various 3GPP work groups like SA2,
CT4, CT3, CT1 and RAN3. He is also currently involved with O-RAN Alliance
work groups WG5 and WG4. He was the rapporteur of some of the key 5G
service based architecture stage 3 specifications – TS 29.500 and TS
29.573. He is currently working as a Senior Product Manager at Altiostar
Networks, Bangalore. In his current role he has been actively involved with
customers in discussing deployment aspects of Open RAN architectures. He is
also the co-author of draft-clt-dmm-tn-aware-mobility and has been
acknowdged for actively reviewing IETF RFC 7389 and
draft-ietf-dmm-srv6-mobile-uplane-09. Prior to joining Altiostar he has
worked with Cisco Systems and Huawei Technologies as a 3GPP delegate.  He
holds a Bachelors in Engineering in Computer Science Engineering from
Coimbatore Institute of Technology. autonomous institute.

--

IETF Network Slicing & its realization

Dhruv will cover the IETF definition of the Network Slicing and how it
relates to the end-to-end slice. The talk will also include an introduction
to the proposed framework, NBI, and a list of various realization
techniques. Srihari will further cover one such realization technique in
the IP/MPLS network in detail; that was recently proposed at IETF 109.

Dhruv Dhody, Chief Architect Standards, Huawei & President, IIESoc

Dhruv has been working in the networking domain for the last 16 years with
Huawei Technologies. Over the years he has worked on MPLS VPNs, OSPF, NTP,
ALTO, CSPF, etc for Huawei's Routing Platform. He is currently working on
research & standards for various emerging technologies as PCE, Segment
Routing (SR), and Network Slicing. He is an active IETF contributor in the
area of Path Computation and Traffic Engineering with 15 RFCs as the main
editor and 12 as a contributor. He has filled 21 patents. He is also
serving as the PCE WG co-chair at IETF. He is also part of the Routing
Directorate and sergeant-at-arms for the IETF mailing list. He is a
founding member and president of India Internet Engineering Society
(IIESoc) & secretary for Industry Network Technology Council (INTC).

Srihari Sangli, Distinguished Engineer, Juniper Networks

Srihari Sangli is a Distinguished Engineer at Juniper Networks. With over
25 years of industry experience, he is currently driving Segment Routing,
Traffic Engineering and Network Slicing solutions for Juniper. Prior to
Juniper, he worked for Cisco in different roles and responsible for shaping
many routing products, drove key innovations across BGP, Routing, BNG,
Optical technology, etc. He was instrumental in delivering the industry’s
first L3VPN implementation on Cisco IOS during 90s. He is author of many
RFCs & patents and is a co-author of “Practical BGP” book.

--

Thanks!
Dhruv & Nalini