Subject: [Ietf-community-india] Transport Track @ Connections 2020

From: IIESoc <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 05:49:17 +0530

Hi Folks,

For the Transport track in #Connections2020, we have Jana Iyengar (Fastly)
talking about QUIC (latest transport layer protocol being used by major
browsers already); Prof. K K Ramakrishnan (University of California) &
Mohit Tahiliani (NITK Surathkal) would then cover the Congestion Control
mechanisms.

This is the first time we have the Transport area as part of the
Connections event. We have experts from Industry and Academia as a part of
this track!
Register now - https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_JDW3wBHjQzKffziRdtfPrA

More Information - https://www.connections.iiesoc.in/

Abstract: QUIC is an encrypted, multiplexed, and low-latency transport
protocol designed from the ground up to improve transport performance for
HTTPS traffic and to enable rapid deployment and continued evolution of
transport mechanisms. QUIC has now matured from an experiment to a more
complete Internet standard at the IETF. In this talk, I will describe the
motivations for developing a new transport, QUIC's design and the
principles that guided it, and performance improvements seen by various
deployments of QUIC, and the current state of its development and
deployment.

Bio: Jana Iyengar is a Distinguished Engineer at Fastly, with a focus on
transport and networking performance, including building and deploying QUIC
and HTTP/3. He is an editor in the IETF’s QUIC working group and he chairs
the IRTF’s Internet Congestion Control Research Group (ICCRG). Prior to
Fastly, he worked on QUIC, BBR, and other networking projects at Google,
before which he was an Associate Professor of Computer Science at Franklin
& Marshall College.

==

Abstract: Networked applications are ubiquitous and their performance
requirements are becoming increasingly stringent. Network congestion can
seriously impact performance contributing to increased latency, packet loss
and poor throughput. To address these problems, the networking community
has come up with a large number of congestion control algorithms through
the years. These can be classified into two broad classes: one based on an
end-system's perception of network congestion and the other based on the
network providing feedback to flows that pass through it. At the same time,
the focus for congestion control has expanded from just being in the
wide-area and metro networks to data centers and wireless networks
including cellular environments. This talk will discuss the different kinds
of feedback based congestion control, with the signal for congestion being
based on just using end-system based inference of congestion to signals
generated from within the network. Examples include end-to-end loss and
delay-based signals and Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN). ECN
generated by the network has ranged from using a simple threshold for the
queue at a router, to more elaborate AQM-based ECN signaling. We will
describe our work on seeking to understand the benefits of
network-generated feedback. Our discussion will be supported by
experimental results comparing BBRv1, BBRv2 (with and without ECN) and
CUBIC (with PI controller AQM and ECN).

Bio: Dr. K. K. Ramakrishnan is Professor of Computer Science and
Engineering at the University of California, Riverside. Previously, he was
a Distinguished Member of Technical Staff at AT&T Labs-Research. Prior to
1994, he was a Technical Director and Consulting Engineer in Networking at
Digital Equipment Corporation. Between 2000 and 2002, he was at TeraOptic
Networks, Inc., as Founder and Vice President.K. K. is an ACM Fellow, an
IEEE Fellow and an AT&T Fellow, recognized for his fundamental
contributions on communication networks, including his work on congestion
control, traffic management and VPN services. He has published nearly 300
papers and has 183 patents issued in his name. K. K. received his MTech
from the Indian Institute of Science (1978), and MS (1981) &amp; Ph.D.
(1983) in Computer Science from the University of Maryland, College Park,
USA.

Mohit is a faculty of Computer Science and Engineering at National
Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal, Mangalore, India. He is a
Member of the Advisory Board of ns-3 Consortium, and is a co-mentor of TCP
and traffic-control modules in ns-3. He works on TCP optimisations, Linux
queue disciplines, Data plane optimizations and Wi-Fi rate adaptation.

==

Thanks!
Dhruv & Nalini
For IIESoc & INTC