Subject: [ietf-dkim] New issue: Threat-00 Eavesdropping may permit man-in-the-middle as well.

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 15:04:09 -0800

,---
|2.2.  Capabilities
|
| 4.  Ability to "wiretap" some existing traffic, perhaps from a
|       wireless network.
|
|  Either of the first two of these mechanisms could be used to allow
|  the bad actor to function as a man-in-the-middle between sender and
|  recipient, if that attack is useful.
'---

: 4.  Ability to eavesdrop on existing traffic, perhaps from a wireless
:       network, LAN, cable or DSL modem.
:
:  Either of the first two of these mechanisms could be used to allow
:  the bad actor to function as a man-in-the-middle between sender and
:  recipient, if that attack is useful.  The forth of these mechanisms,
:  with exposure of all or just broadcast packets, might allow the
:  hijacking of sessions or services and also permit a man-in-the-middle
:  attack.

The term "wiretap" was replace with eavesdrop.  Wiretap is a term  
generally used to indicate the monitoring of the telephone line,  
whereas eavesdrop provides a broader definition that does not  
immediately seem contradicted by describing as applying to wireless  
networks.  The ability to eavesdrop may also all the hijacking of  
sessions and services and may permit man-in-the-middle attacks.

The suggested changes to date are compared here:
http://www.sonic.net/~dougotis/dkim/dkim-threat-00-otis-a.html

-Doug
_______________________________________________
ietf-dkim mailing list
http://dkim.org