Subject: RE: [ietf-dkim] Concerns about DKIM and mailing lists

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:52:43 -0500

I receive a dkim signed mail from mipassoc.org with a dkim sig that
resolves correctly but the domain mtcc.com is in the from address and
they purport to sign all mail, the only dkim sig is from mipassoc.org. 

Since this mail has passed my blacklists I would then process the mail
with my suspicious mail. It will get thru unless it appears to be
obviously spam. 

I could also put this list in my personal whitelist. Lists may slowdown
with DKIM but I don't think they will completely stop.

Bill Oxley 
Messaging Engineer 
Cox Communications, Inc. 
Alpharetta GA 
404-847-6397 
[email-masked] 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Michael Thomas
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 11:23 AM
To: John R Levine
Cc: DKIM List
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Concerns about DKIM and mailiing lists

John R Levine wrote:
>>That assumes that mailing list software's perogatives trump all. They
>>don't.
> 
> Of course they do.  I run majordomo2, I like it just the way it is,
and I
> expect to run its output through my MTA that puts my domain's
signature on
> all its outgoing mail.  How exactly do you propose to make me do
something
> else?  (Hint: RFCs are suggestions, not commands.)  What will happen
to me
> if I don't?

   If you don't care whether your subscribers get their mail, nothing.
   If you do, then maybe you'll start listening rather than sneering.

>>The object here is to reach an accommodation between these two
competing
>>needs. But if I had to say who ought to lose push come to shove, it
>>would be mailing list software that insists on changing my original
>>content and then trying to pass it off as if I wrote it.
> 
> 
> Putting on my list owner hat, I would point out that if you don't like
> what a list does to your mail, you are free not to send mail to it.  I
> would be amazed if any list operators felt otherwise.

   Putting on my domain's receiver hat on, you are perfectly
   at liberty to send into my black hole. You are a very small
   and inconsequential domain. Do you really think that I'm going
   to care about your whinging as you hit the event horizon?

   People are in denial if they think that mangling mailing lists
   are anything other than inconsequential noise, and a fine candidate
   for collateral damage if that's the easier/safer path.

		Mike
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html