Subject: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: z= field and EAI wg

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:55:41 +0000

Even if it doesn't hit anywhere else, presumably the EAI work will
have to be taken into account for the z= field, with potential
changes being required to the current ABNF?

S.

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:12:28 -0800

> changes being required to the current ABNF?

I'm not sure about the ABNF, but why would it otherwise affect us?
The z= is only a qp encoded blind copy of the bytes present. We don't
define any semantics.

		Mike

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:19:42 +0000

> The z= is only a qp encoded blind copy of the bytes present. We don't

Answer is: I don't know. That's why I asked the question. Hard to
believe that we won't get hit by EAI, but great if so. I'm thinking
about the unfortunate PEM/MIME situation and just want us to keep it
in mind as EAI progresses.

I thought that our ABNF had a restriction to certain characters only,
but didn't read it carefully enough to be sure if that applies inside
the z= field. (z= being at the end of the list, I was tired of reading
when I got there:-)

S.

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:26:20 -0800

> the z= field. (z= being at the end of the list, I was tired of reading

It does, but the value of the z= is QP encoded so that there aren't
conflicts with the DKIM/2822 ABNF. Do you have an example of where,
say, QP or base64 encoded data could still bite you?

		Mike

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:34:54 +0000

> say, QP or base64 encoded data could still bite you?

I don't. And don't understand the details enough to say. But if
no-one else does either then we'll be able to close the issue and
move on.

S.

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:28:45 -0800

> changes being required to the current ABNF?

How does one 'take into account' work that has not even been chartered to start 
the standards process?

d/

-- 

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
<http://bbiw.net>
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 00:22:20 -0500

There are a number of ways that the EAI work may affect DKIM. Among them
is the use of the yet-to-be-determined downgrading algorithms.

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]