Subject: [ietf-dkim] Using v= in -base-01 and forwards

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:29:14 -0800

Greetings again. The recent discussion of how to tell new protocol 
versions from pre-IETF versions indicates that it is a good time to 
start using v=. I propose the following for -01.

---------------------
Summary:
Change the wording to make v= mandatory for implementations starting 
in -01, omitted for earlier.

---------------------
Rationale:
We need a way to track bits-on-the-wire and semantic changes between drafts.

---------------------
Changes:

In section 3.5:
OLD:
    v=   Version (MUST NOT be included).  This tag is reserved for future
        use to indicate a possible new, incompatible version of the
        specification.  It MUST NOT be included in the DKIM-Signature
        header field.

        ABNF:

    sig-v-tag =
NEW:
    v=   Version.  This tag indicates the version of the protocol that
        the signer used when signing the message. It MUST be included
        on signatures that use the format and semantics of the current
        version of the document, and the value MUST be "01" (without the
        quotes). If a signature does not contain the v= tag, that means
        that the signer was using format and semantics that preceded the
        IETF standardization effort.

        ABNF:

    sig-v-tag = %x76 [FWS] "=" [FWS] sig-v-tag-data
    sig-v-tag-data = ALNUMPUNC

In section 6.1, remove the second paragraph.

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html