Subject: [ietf-dkim] some issues with draft-ietf-dkim-base-00.txt

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 00:38:34 -0500

First a couple of nits and then an issue.

There are some lines in draft-ietf-dkim-base-00.txt that need to be
indented differently:

824c824
<         <TAB> Z <SP><SP><CRLF>
---
>        <TAB> Z <SP><SP><CRLF>
2832c2832
<              -----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
---
>    -----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
2848c2848
<              -----END PUBLIC KEY-----
---
>    -----END PUBLIC KEY-----

Now for the issue: I was trying to validate the sample message shown in
the draft. I think the example should be as accurate as we can make it,
and hence should verify properly.

I'm assuming that it was signed with the public/private key pair shown
in the draft. But I can't get it to verify. Is my assumption correct?
Should it be able to verify with that public/private key pair? If not,
can we get the correct public/private key pair into the draft instead of
what's there?

Can the example be rewritten to explicitly indicate which characters in
the indents are spaces and tabs? Given that it's a "c=simple;"
signature, the exact spaces and tabs are very important. For example, is

   Received: from dsl-10.2.3.4.network.example.com  [10.2.3.4]
            by submitserver.example.com with SUBMISSION;
            Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:01:54 -0700 (PDT)

supposed to be:

   Received: from dsl-10.2.3.4.network.example.com  [10.2.3.4]
   <TAB>by submitserver.example.com with SUBMISSION;
   <TAB>Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:01:54 -0700 (PDT)

or

   Received: from dsl-10.2.3.4.network.example.com  [10.2.3.4]
   <TAB><SP>by submitserver.example.com with SUBMISSION;
   <TAB><SP>Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:01:54 -0700 (PDT)

or

   Received: from dsl-10.2.3.4.network.example.com  [10.2.3.4]
   <SP><SP><SP><SP><SP><SP><SP><SP>by submitserver.example.com with
SUBMISSION;
   <SP><SP><SP><SP><SP><SP><SP><SP>Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:01:54 -0700 (PDT)

or what?

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html