Subject: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-threats-02 nit//Claim Responsibility for email address use?

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:51:25 -0700

,----
|1.  Introduction
|
| DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) [I-D.ietf-dkim-base] defines a
| mechanism by which email messages can be cryptographically signed,
| permitting a signing domain to claim responsibility for the use of a
| given email address.
'----

The signature establishes that the signing-domain has handled the  
message.  DKIM does not require an email-address be associated with a  
signing-domain.  Even when a signing-domain can be seen as associated  
with an email-address in the message, there is no safe assurance the  
signing-domain is authoritative or controls use of the email- 
address.  This statement is confusing the DKIM base with questionable  
concepts found in SSP.

This statement in isolation implies the goal of DKIM is to establish  
constrains on the use of one's email-address.  A provider may elect  
to sign all messages irrespective of the email-address utilized by  
their customers, for example.

Suggested correction:

: DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) [I-D.ietf-dkim-base] defines a
: mechanism by which email messages can be cryptographically signed,
: permitting a signing domain to be identified as handling the signed
: portion of the message.

-Doug

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html