Subject: [ietf-dkim] draft changes discussed in Thursday Jabber session

From: Eric Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 13:47:49 -0700

I've put the revised version of the draft (I called it "-03a") up on 
<http://www.neophilic.com/~eric/DKIM/draft-ietf-dkim-base-03a.html>. 
This has the changes we discussed yesterday, and I'm hoping that 
enough people will have read the relevant sections that we can 
discuss them in our Monday Jabber session.

The changes are:

Section 3.6: drop mention of passing "i=" tag to key lookup module.

Section 6: result codes changed to be just "OK/FAIL/TFAIL" with a 
parenthetical (and explicitly non-normative) explanation.

Section 6: the wording about "MUST perform these steps in order" 
changed to "Verifiers MUST produce a result that is semantically 
equivalent to applying the following steps in the order listed. In 
practice, several of these steps can be performed in parallel in 
order to improve performance."

Section 6.6 (MUA Considerations) promoted to Section 7.

I did look at the Introduction with an eye to changing it to match 
the threats document, but I recall the wording that we have in -base 
to have been heavily discussed; I don't see a way to change them to 
be in better agreement without nullifying the effect of that 
discussion.  We might want to put this on the agenda on Monday.

In addition to what we discussed yesterday, this version contains the 
updated wording regarding key expiration: the text is now 
informational, and the "seven day" wording has been changed to 
something less prescriptive.

eric

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 10:17:50 -0400

Eric Allman said the following:
> This has the changes we discussed yesterday, and I'm hoping that enough 
> people will have read the relevant sections that we can discuss them in 
> our Monday Jabber session.

And so this is a reminder that we have a jabber session in about 45 
minutes, as I type this.  I'll be moderating, and I'm going to let Eric 
control the agenda, since the goal is to resolve the issues that he 
thinks he needs to sort out for an "official" -base-03 version.

The broader goal will be to have a -base-03 submission that we can do 
"working group last call" on.

Barry

--
Barry Leiba, Internet Messaging Technology  ([email-masked])
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/l/leiba
http://www.research.ibm.com/spam
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html