Subject: [ietf-dkim] draft-crocker-dns-attrleaf

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:49:55 -0400

Folks,

The issue of the DNS query specification choices that we made has been looming
for quite awhile.  For example, it's no great surprise that the impact of the
_domainkeys portion of the domain name has been missed by a lot of folks.

Over the last few months, I've come to believe that the underscored name
construct is a pretty significant enhancement to DNS and this it needed to be
documented as a construct.  It also needs IANA registration, I think.

To that end, I've generated a place-holder Internet Draft.  You can get at it
now, via: <http://bbiw.net/current.html#scopedleaf>.

d/
-- 

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking
  bbiw.net
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:53:32 -0700

> now, via: <http://bbiw.net/current.html#scopedleaf>.

This is a good idea.  This issue was previously discussed on  
namedroppers not that long ago regarding the situation with SRV records.

http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2005/ 
msg01046.html
http://www.faqs.org/ftp/internet-drafts/draft-fenner-iana-dns-srv-00.txt
http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2005/ 
msg01048.html

Don't forget to include the related RFC reference and details related  
to the '_*' label.

There are unofficial name registries that incorrectly assume a  
service label is placed to the left of a protocol label of _tcp or  
_udp and fail to address any of Eric Hall's concerns.
http://www.dns-sd.org/ServiceTypes.html

-Doug