Subject: RE: [ietf-dkim] A more fundamental SSP axiom

From: Arvel Hathcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 14:37:00 -0500

> We need more than that: we need a statement of how the receivers are 
> expected by the senders to use it. If this is just "I wanted to tell 
> you what I want" with no expectation of how that information will be 
> used, it's just bluster. 

Paul,  I may be misunderstanding but does communicating an "expectation of how that information will be used" mean saying things like "delete the message", "refuse the message", "negatively score the message", etc?  That sounds fairly close to trying to dictate receiver action.  Is there a distinction here that I'm missing (sorry if so).  

-- 
Arvel 

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 14:26:41 -0700

At 2:37 PM -0500 8/2/06, Arvel Hathcock wrote:
>Paul,  I may be misunderstanding but does communicating an 
>"expectation of how that information will be used" mean saying 
>things like "delete the message", "refuse the message", "negatively 
>score the message", etc?

Yes. (Well, most likely only the last one, and even then, we might 
need to be more specific about what "score" means.)

>That sounds fairly close to trying to dictate receiver action.

Exactly. Which is why I am skeptical of what many people are saying 
are "requirements".
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html