Subject: [ietf-dkim] What community problem is the WG solving?

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:07:11 -0700

Folks,

Amidst the various threads, I have lost track of what functional email 
problems the working group is trying to solve.

I do not mean "how should SSP work" or "what should be in the 
requirements document", anything so mundane or detailed.

Rather, all that mundaneness and detail is presumably intended to solve 
some specific set of email community problems.

What are those problems, specifically?

Do we have rough consensus on what they are and that they need solving 
right now?

If we don't, then we we are not likely to be able to converge on the 
details of the mechanisms to do the work.

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 00:33:40 +0200

Dave Crocker wrote:

> all that mundaneness and detail is presumably intended to
> solve some specific set of email community problems.

> What are those problems, specifically?

My POV:  Will DKIM offer something that's _better_ than SID ?

The "crypto timestamp" camp apparently wants something that's
better than SpamCop's algorithm coupled with "query abuse.net".
Also interesting, but a different problem.
    
> Do we have rough consensus on what they are and that they
> need solving right now?

That's probably addressed to the Chairs.

Frank