Subject: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: ssp-requirements-01 // Outsource First Party Signing concerns extended

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:15:49 -0700

4.3.  Scenario 3: Outsourced First Party Signing

Append:

One aspect of message handling greatly benefited by inclusion of a  
DKIM signature is abuse reporting.  As DKIM offers no replay  
protections, the principal identifier accruing behavioral information  
must remain the client IP address.  As such, the domain transmitting  
a message should also be the domain signing the message.  This  
ensures vital abuse feedback reaches the party most likely affected.   
This does not happen when keys or delegations of a foreign domain are  
utilized within the DKIM signature 'd=' parameter.

A domain offering either their key or a portion of their domain may  
not have access to logs needed to repudiate messages they may wish to  
later refute.  The source of a signed message being questioned may  
prove difficult to determine when a provider is entrusted to perform  
signing "as-if" a first party from the perspective of the 2822.From  
email-address domain.

-Doug

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html