Subject: [ietf-dkim] quick summary of Sep 21 jabber

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:11:58 +0100

Log is at: http://www.ietf.org/meetings/ietf-logs/dkim/2006-09-21.html

There were some delays and connection problems (jabber.org being
down mainly), so we didn't get through that much.

Our aim is to get rough consensus on ssp-reqs before San Diego
so that we can mainly work on an SSP protocol there.

We'll have weekly jabber sessions (1500 UTC, Thursday for 90
minutes) for the next few weeks to try get this done. So next
one is 28th Sep.

We went through issues from the tracker:

- 1201/1217 were the same. Arvel volunteered to write a
   requirements-like sentence to the effect that human-friendly syntax
   is nicer and whenever that sentence is agreed we add it and
   CLOSE these

- 1356 remains OPEN since the text proposed needs more thought

- 1357 basic difference between 4.1 and 4.2 relates to an expectation
   that signatures are more likely broken in 4.2, Dave and Mike to
   work some clarifying text at which point we can CLOSE this

- 1358 didn't get any support and got a few "-1"'s so is heading to
   be a CLOSE/REJECT

- 1359 didn't get any support so is heading to be a CLOSE/REJECT

- 1360 remains OPEN and is first up for discussion next time

That's all,
Stephen.

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:44:57 -0700

Stephen,

I have attempted from several servers, but remain unable to connect  
to the chat group.  I receive 502: Server Connect Failed when  
attempting to join [email-masked] from several of the listed  
servers offering group chat.  I have not worked out what is needed to  
resolve this problem as of yet.

It would have been better to have allowed an exchange regarding these  
topics.  These discussions should  be handled on the list where a  
server failure does not thwart what might be a meaningful exchange  
before a topic is closed.

-Doug

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 09:31:59 +0100

Doug,

Douglas Otis wrote:
> Stephen,
> 
> I have attempted from several servers, but remain unable to connect to 
> the chat group.  I receive 502: Server Connect Failed when attempting to 
> join [email-masked] from several of the listed servers offering 
> group chat.  I have not worked out what is needed to resolve this 
> problem as of yet.

Keep trying. We're set for another session next week. You can
connect any time between now and then to check that you've sorted
out your problem.

> topics.  

Eh...that's exactly what did happen. You just weren't there.

 > These discussions should  be handled on the list where a server
> failure does not thwart what might be a meaningful exchange before a 
> topic is closed.

Seems like jabber was ok before when you did take part, so I
don't see what's different this time.

As always, what's discussed in the jabber session is treated like
what happens face-to-face and has to be confirmed on the list. And
since you weren't part of the jabber session, questioning the
consensus from that is quite reasonable - just as it would be if
you weren't in the room at a face to face. (As it happens, for
the two issues concerned, there was a fairly unanimous reject
opinion in the jabber session, so you've your work cut out to
change that.)

Stephen.