Subject: [ietf-dkim] DKIM wg summary for SAAG

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 22:15:28 +0000

Here's the summary of the DKIM WG meeting for the SAAG at
IETF-67.

About 75 people attended.

The base document finished IETF last call on Nov 7. The few
comments received are being processed by the editors.

We went over the open issues with the "sender signing policy
requirements" document.  A major meta-issue there, which we discussed
for a while, is what to do with the document, ultimately: should it
become an informational RFC, or should it just live as a draft
document, guiding the development of the signing policy
specification(s), and then expire?  After a surprising amount of
discussion on that point, we got a "hum" from the room marginally in
favour of making it an informational RFC.

Next, three participants presented their proposals for specific details
of a signing policy specification.  We limited discussion during the
presentations, and had an open-mike period afterward.  Phillip
Hallam-Baker's presentation offered a mix-and-match set of three
independent aspects, and it was well received.  It seems likely that at
least some parts of his proposal will become part of the final
specification.

Tony Hansen reviewed the status of the DKIM Overview document, and we
got another "hum" from the room about preference to put the document
out soon, to aid implementations of the DKIM base, with a possible
second version later, covering subsequent topics...  or to publish the
overview document only after the working group completes (or largely
completes) the rest of its work.  The consensus was again not
overwhelming, and was marginally in favour of publishing a first
version now.

Paul Hoffman presented a brief overview of a reputation protocol, Vouch
By Reference, that's being experimented with by the Domain Assurance
Council, an organization he runs.

Finally, we revised the SSP milestone, deciding to set a new date of
July '07 for a final SSP spec, and to add a new milestone for February
for the working group's acceptance of an SSP spec as a working group
document.

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html