Subject: [ietf-dkim] dkim-overview-09 /authentication scope per derivatives

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:00:35 -0700

3.1.4. Distinguish the core authentication mechanism from its
       derivative uses

|An authenticated identity can be subject to a variety of processing
|policies, either ad hoc or standardized.  The only semantics inherent
|to a DKIM signature is that the signer is asserting (some)
|responsibility for the message.  All other mechanisms and meanings
|are built on this core service.  One such mechanism might assert a
|relationship between the signing identity and the author, as
|specified in the From: header field's domain identity[RFC2822].
|Another might specify how to treat an unsigned message with that
|From: field domain.

This clarification of the scope of authentication should be amended to  
include:

"The identity associated with the signature may also relate to someone  
acting on behalf of the author, such as noted within the Sender  
header.  A signature associated identity may not be found anywhere  
within the message as well, but could assist recipients in  
establishing a defensive posture against abuse related to what might  
be an opaque identity."

-Doug
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html