Subject: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: "Mediator" used before defined in overview doc

From: "J D Falk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:34:45 -0400

Current text in 5.6:

   A Mediator, such as a mailing list, often can re-post a message
   without breaking the DKIM signature.  Furthermore it can add its own
   signature.  This can be added by the Mediator software itself, or by
   any outbound component in the Mediator's ADMD.

It sounds like there are other Mediators, but they aren't listed -- so I
think this section could benefit from clarification of the term, similar
to other sections which introduce new terms (I do see that it's defined
later on, in the appendix.)

--
J.D. Falk
Receiver Products
Return Path 

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:07:13 -0700

We are caught in a continuing bind, in that the email-arch document has not yet 
been published.  That's where pedagogy about Mediators is considered somewhat 
extensively.  The doc is progressing, albeit glacially.  (My fault.)

So, this is another example of trying to limit how much pedagogy about email or 
security basics is discussed in the Overview, instead trying to focus on the 
DKIM-specifics.

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html