Subject: [ietf-dkim] Thoughts on parent domain lookup (was Re: subdomain strawpoll)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 17:01:04 -0700

I'd say that the lack of a parent domain lookup is not a showstopper,
but creates significant administrative overhead. I consider it a "very
nice to have". It certainly facilitates a world we all want to live in:
one where all of our email domains and subdomains can actually publish
a dkim=all record.

I know that there've been suggestions that new products (or features in
existing products) might emerge that would obviate the need for any such
requirement by synthesizing ADSP records at labels that don't already
have them. I suspect, however, that at many large organizations, such a
major change to core infrastructure like DNS would take as long as (and
be fraught with more political peril than) reaching consensus on any
IETF working group :).

-- 
Mike Markley <[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 17:08:17 -0700

On May 7, 2008, at 5:01 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> I'd say that the lack of a parent domain lookup is not a  
> showstopper, but creates significant administrative overhead.

This would be adding a significant amount of added overhead to the  
receiver at each email just to reduce the one time administrative  
efforts associated with publishing DKIM policy.  Does this even seem  
fair?

> I consider it a "very nice to have". It certainly facilitates a  
> world we all want to live in:
>
> one where all of our email domains and subdomains can actually  
> publish a dkim=all record.

Demanding opt-out strategies or added overhead for what is already  
more than 90% crap will not make this a better world.

-Doug