Subject: [ietf-dkim] Protocol Action: 'DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) Author Domain Signing Practices (ADSP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 15:11:17 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) Author Domain Signing Practices 
   (ADSP) '
   <draft-ietf-dkim-ssp-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Domain Keys Identified Mail Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Pasi Eronen and Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dkim-ssp-10.txt

Technical Summary

   DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) defines a domain-level
   authentication framework for email to permit verification of the
   source and contents of messages.  This document specifies an
   adjunct mechanism to aid in assessing messages that do not contain
   a DKIM signature for the domain used in the author's address.  It
   defines a record that can advertise whether a domain signs its
   outgoing mail, and how other hosts can access that record.

Working Group Summary

   draft-ietf-dkim-ssp-07 is the 8th official WG draft, following on
   from 3 iterations of an individual submission draft-allman-dkim-ssp
   with the -00 version dating back to January 2006. The current draft
   has passed WGLC with solid support in the DKIM WG. Some minor
   editorial changes were make post-WGLC based on (a few) comments
   received on the -05 draft.  The DKIM WG used the rt.psg.com tracker
   for its work (queue=dkim) and processed O(50) issues for this
   document over the period.

Document Quality

   The document has undergone thorough review in the WG resulting in
   various revisions, typically removing features or renaming elements
   of the protocol, however, the basic core feature of ADSP has
   remained stable all through the process.

Personnel

   Stephen Farrell ([email-masked]) is the document
   shepherd. The responsible AD is Pasi Eronen.

RFC Editor Note

   Please make the following two changes:

   Section 4.2.1:
   OLD:
     adsp-dkim-tag = %x64.6b.69.6d *WSP "=" *WSP
                     ("unknown" / "all" / "discardable")
   NEW:
     adsp-dkim-tag = %x64.6b.69.6d *WSP "=" *WSP
                     ("unknown" / "all" / "discardable" /
                      x-adsp-dkim-tag)
     x-adsp-dkim-tag = hyphenated-word   ; for future extension
     ; hyphenated-word is defined in RFC 4871

   Section 4.1:
   OLD:
      Note:   Domains MUST NOT publish ADSP records with wildcard names.
         Wildcards within a domain publishing ADSP records pose a
         particular problem, as discussed in more detail in Section 6.3.
   NEW:
      Domains MUST NOT publish ADSP records with wildcard names.
      Wildcards within a domain publishing ADSP records pose a particular
      problem, as discussed in more detail in Section 6.3.

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html