Subject: [ietf-dkim] Protocol Action: 'RFC 4871 DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) Signatures -- Update' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 01:56:44 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RFC 4871 DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) Signatures -- Update '
   <draft-ietf-dkim-rfc4871-errata-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Domain Keys Identified Mail Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Pasi Eronen and Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dkim-rfc4871-errata-07.txt

Technical Summary

   This document updates RFC 4871, DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM)
   Signatures.  Specifically the document clarifies the nature, roles
   and relationship of the two DKIM identifier tag values that are
   candidates for payload delivery to a receiving processing
   module. The Update is in the style of an errata entry.

Working Group Summary

   This document arose from an errata report against RFC 4871, and
   from attempts to address the issue raised, which required
   clarification of some terminology.  After some discussion, it was
   clear that the working group is divided as to how extensive the
   clarification needs to be, with a significant majority opting for
   the more extensive version represented here.  In a spirit of
   compromise and a desire for progress, the working group agreed to
   some changes to the text that make it acceptable to most of the
   participants.

   RFC 4871 was published two years ago, and since then, the
   collective understanding of the role of DKIM has improved based on
   deployment experience and work on the other DKIM WG drafts (Author
   Domain Signing Practices; Service Overview; Development, Deployment
   and Operations). Since it is not absolutely clear that the 
   clarifications completely match the intent at the time when 
   RFC 4871 was published (when the role of DKIM was less well
   understood), they are published as an RFC updating RFC 4871 instead
   of an RFC Editor errata, to ensure that they go through the normal
   IETF consensus process.

Document Quality

   There is a significant level of deployment of DKIM, as documented
   by RFC 4871.  In fact, the existing deployment and good
   interoperability is what makes a part of the working group unsure
   that a clarification of this nature is necessary.  Nevertheless,
   discussion within the working group made it clear to many that
   there is a significant amount of disagreement as to what was meant
   in some less-used areas of RFC 4871.  The working group believes
   that these updates will clarify the terminology and improve chances
   of interoperability among implementations that use those features.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Barry Leiba, and the responsible area
   director is Pasi Eronen.

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html