Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] list vs contributor signatures, was Wrong Discussion

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 06:08:56 -0700

On 04/30/2010 07:09 PM, John Levine wrote:
Nope.  I'm suggesting a means for enabling DKIM authenticated mail to
>> survive transit through a mail list and arrive with the
>> intent/purpose/value of the original authentication might be for MLM's
>> to validate incoming mail and DKIM sign their own outbound mail along
>> with the appropriate A-R data.  That's all.
>
> But you haven't offered any plausible benefit from doing so, other
> than to let you mix your two mailstreams.  As I've said about a
> bajillion times, we have 40 years of list management history, and this
> isn't a problem that anyone has ever needed to solve.  So I'll leave
> it there.

You have a very skewed view of who serves at them whim of whom.

Mike
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 10:28:52 +0100

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 13:37:22 +0100, John Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Then the recipient has some evidence to assist in his evaluation. In  
>> fact,
>> the changes made by this list are easily reversible, if someone wants to
>> try to reverse them and check the original signature. But he cannot do
>> that with a signature that has been removed.
>
> Huh?  If we could write down the changes that lists make to the mail
> they send, we would have done so.  My list managers have been known to
> remove or reorder MIME parts and flatten HTML into text.  I even run
> some quaint lists where the editor hand-edits the messages.  No, those
> aren't "illegitimate", they're standard practice and have been for
> decades.

I was referring spoecifically to the changes made to _this_ list.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131                       
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html