Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Is anyone using ADSP? - bit more data from the receiving side

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 11:04:27 -0700

On 10/13/2009 4:30 AM, Ian Eiloart wrote:
> I understand the issue here, but part of the point of DKIM/ADSP is to
> allow automated systems to assign reputation to an email domain or email
> address - a byte string.

Since this is a technical standards body, technical precision is important.  So 
please forgive some not-very-trivial nit-picking:

      DKIM indeed has everything to do with making it possible to assign a 
reputation to a domain, by providing a reliable and verified identifier for the 
mail stream that uses it, so that those assigning reputations can have a valid 
basis.  When there is a verified DKIM signature, the reputation work has that 
basis.  When there is no verified DKIM signature, the reputation work does not.

      However ADSP has nothing at all to do with assigning reputation to a 
domain.  ADSP is solely for the purpose of finding unauthorized uses of a domain 
in the From: author field.  That is, ADSP is for finding misbehaviors by folk 
who have nothing to do with the From: field domain.  That's an entirely 
different task from developing reputation for the folks who are "insiders" 
relative to the domain.

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html