Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Mailing list reality check

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 11:18:45 -0700

> Assuming you do any sorting of inbound mail at all, how do you treat
 > mail from lists to which you have subscribed?
 >
 > A) Use the From: address (or something that identifies the contributor)
 > as the primary sort criterion
 >
 > B) Use the List-ID: (or something that identifies the list) as the
 > primiary sort criterion
 >
 > C) Something else

for myself: (C)

I started sorting my inbound email into different folders on a per-list basis 
back in 1995 or so, and that predated RFC2919 List-Id (2001). So, I sort on To: 
or cc: fields having the list's email address (which can have minor annoying 
issues from time-to-time, but aren't a big deal overall). I've been doing this 
for so long that it never occurred to me to change my practice.

Also, it seems support for RFC2919 List-Id is not universal even today -- some 
presently active lists I'm on don't employ that header field, tho a search 
across my archives reveals that such lists are in a distinct minority.

Another aspect to this depends on what MUA folks use, as Murray alludes to. 
I.e. whether using list-id is even possible.

HTH,

=JeffH

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: "Mark Delany" <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Aug 2010 14:51:40 -0700

> B) Use the List-ID: (or something that identifies the list) as the

C) The 821.RCPTTO address.

Which probably means this straw poll really is surveying the "fringe"
of the email world. (And I mean fringe in the nicest possible way of
course).

Mark.