Subject: [ietf-dkim] draft-ietf-dkim-rfc4871bis

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 08:50:14 -0700

Folks,

draft-ietf-dkim-rfc4871bis has been submitted; for some reason the I-D 
submissions tool needs to process it manually and that might take awhile.

Various formats of the draft, along with a diff from the RFC, are located at the 
DKIM site:

    <http://dkim.org/ietf-dkim.htm#rfc7871bis>

d/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Manual Post Requested for draft-ietf-dkim-rfc4871bis
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 08:36:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
   [email-masked], [email-masked]

Manual Posting Requested for following Internet-Draft:

I-D Submission Tool URL: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/idst/status.cgi?submission_id=25864

Filename:	   draft-ietf-dkim-rfc4871bis
Version:	   00
Staging URL:	   http://www.ietf.org/staging/draft-ietf-dkim-rfc4871bis-00.txt
Title:		   DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) Signatures
Creation_date:	   2010-08-15
WG ID:		   dkim
Number_of_pages: 74
Abstract:
DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) permits a person, role, or
organization that owns the signing domain to claim some
responsibility for a message by associating the domain with the
message.  This can be an author's organization, an operational relay
or one of their agents.  DKIM separates the question of the identity
of the signer of the message from the purported author of the
message.  Assertion of responsibility is validated through a
cryptographic signature and querying the signer's domain directly to
retrieve the appropriate public key.  Message transit from author to
recipient is through relays that typically make no substantive change
to the message content and thus preserve the DKIM signature.

Submitter: Dave Crocker ([email-masked])

Author(s):
Dave Crocker, [email-masked]
Tony Hansen, [email-masked]
Murray Kucherawy, [email-masked]

-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:02:45 -0700

>      <http://dkim.org/ietf-dkim.htm#rfc7871bis>

sigh.

Sorry.  The url is:

      <http://dkim.org/ietf-dkim.htm#rfc4871bis>

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker

---

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Aug 2010 17:31:47 -0000

I went through it.  It's a very thorough piece of work.

So far I only have two comments.

Section 3.5, near the bottom of page 23:

  Local- part MAY be drawn from a namespace that does not contain the
   user's mailbox

I'd suggest changing that to

   Local- part MAY be drawn from a namespace unrelated to any mailbox.

The document never says who "the user" is, and I see no advantage to
language that implies that there is one.

Section 7:

Should this section reiterate all of the stuff in 4871, or since the
IANA registry already exists, just say what if anything is different
since 4871?  I don't know which is better.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/dkim-parameters/dkim-parameters.xhtml

R's,
John