Subject: [ietf-dkim] revised draft-otis-dkim-tpa-label-06

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:59:18 -0700

For making decisions on the dot, See:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-otis-dkim-tpa-label-06

ADSP was initially focused on mitigating phishing attacks.  
Unfortunately, ADSP had a negative impact on informal third-party mail 
services being used by targeted domains.  The stalwart alternative to 
the ADSP proactive scheme, reputation services, are unable to keep pace 
with the dynamic environment created by criminals profiting from their 
deceptive activities.

So rather than asking a reputation service about the message source, or 
asking a vouching service about what the Author Domain should have 
entered into their ADSP record, why not directly ask the Author Domain 
about the source.  After all, the Author Domain has a vested interest in 
guiding their recipients in what sources should be accepted even when 
the Author Domain Signature is no longer valid.  The Author Domain is 
able to indicate whether the source domain is authorized and how the 
recipient should be able to authenticate this source.  All of this 
information is contained within a simple single DNS transaction.

-Doug

_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html