Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] [EAI] UTF-8/MIME

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:02:27 +0100

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:43:13 +0100, Shawn Steele  
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> John was asserting that EAI messages have to be MIME.  IMO I think  
> that's overkill, people use "simple" submission tools, telnet even, but  
> I don't really want to block the RFC over that discussion.

Interesting point. From time to time I use telnet to send email (usually  
when testing that something is working). I try to use as few header as  
possible, and if I were doing it in some EAI environment, it would be  
tedious to type in 3 extra headers (MINE, CT and CTE) which appeared to  
serve no useful purpose.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131                       
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:36:14 +0100

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:02:27 +0100, Charles Lindsey <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>> John was asserting that EAI messages have to be MIME. ...
>
> when testing that something is working).

Oops! Wrong list (thanks to John for telling me).

But to bring it marginally back on topic, it arose because my MUA provides
no facility to reply to list only. Just Reply amd Reply all. Another thing
to add to the list of bad MUA behaviours we have noted in recent threads.

---

From: Hector Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 18:37:10 -0400

> to add to the list of bad MUA behaviours we have noted in recent threads.

Thats has been a long time request.  I believe GMAIL Online supports 
list now in its natural reply button.

However, I don't agree it is "bad behavior."  RFC 5322 says replies to 
go the Originator Fields and a list address is not included in the 
Original Fields. So the MUAs are following the specs and it has to be 
taught to do something different (and special).

This is why some MLS offer list admins a list option such as:

     [X] Add Reply-To List Address

It has help address two things IMV:

   - easier ergonomics for the USER who will naturally click the
     natural "Reply" button and the message is a private 1 to 1
     message, does not go to the list.

   - Avoids unnecessary direct email copies and just
     reply to list which most people want (naturally).

The user can still click "Reply to All" if he wants a response to go 
to multiple emails or the author only which I believe is the only 
situation where he has to cut out the other addresses.

-- 
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com
http://santronics.blogspot.com