Subject: [ietf-dkim] Seeking Clarification of the l= Tag

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 23:53:09 -0400

I received and email with a l=2 tag in the DKIM Signature and after body 
canonicalization put the length at zero, since the body was blank. I notice 
that some email processors fail this condition (smartermail)  and other 
passes this condition (gmail, port25). 

According to the spec  "This value MUST NOT be larger than the actual 
number of octets in the canonicalized message body."

To me that implies that it should PermFail, when this condition takes 
place. So why does gmail consider this valid? What are your thoughts?

Henry Timmes
www.UnlockTheInbox.com
_______________________________________________
NOTE WELL: This list operates according to 
http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 03:11:38 +0200

If the message is totally empty or consists only of CRLF sequences, or not
even that, then the "l=" value should be zero since they would all be
ignored and not fed to the hash; the total number of bytes fed to the hash
would be zero.  I suggest reaching out to Gmail to find out what's going on.

-MSK