Subject: [Ietf-hub-boston] Introductions?

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 17:59:05 -0400

Hi all,

I see that we're up to 36 people on the ietf-hub-boston mailing list and
that the list has been very quiet.  There's no need for high volume, but
some introductions and indicating what types of social events or
get-togethers would be fun/useful/desired would be cool.  I think we cover
a wide range of technical interests and different experiences as IETFers.

This is for us all to self-organize and suggest things as desired.  Rich
Salz requested the list.  I don't think there's anything like a strict plan
but rather providing an easy way for those of us who are within reasonable
distance for getting together to chat.

So - to start, I guess...

I'm Alia and I primarily work at home in Arlington, MA but am up in
Westford on many Weds..  I'm currently serving as Routing AD and I've been
involved in the IETF since Nov 1998.  Outside of Routing, I can be easily
interested in neat topics and have paid some attention to various WGs in
transport and int.  I'm always happy to learn more about security.  For
social things, it's easier for me to get out for lunch than dinner, since I
have three young kids, but I can make it out in the evening.

I'm interested in helping encourage good discussions, cross-learning, and
so on.

Regards,
Alia

---

From: Ethan Banks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 18:12:25 -0400

I’m Ethan Banks, and have been an IT and data center practitioner for over 20 years with focuses on routing, switching, and security. I’m a co-organizer of the BOSNOG group and occasional Interop speaker. I do a bit of technical writing and podcasting. My interests are primarily routing, modeling, and programmatic configuration.

I’m an IETF outsider, looking in. Russ White keeps poking at me to be involved on some level, and I suppose that starts with getting a handle on what’s happening and finding a niche where I can be useful.

This Boston hub puts the IETF within reach, as I’m usually not in a position to travel to the global IETF gatherings. I’m in central NH, 2+ hours from metro Boston, presuming upon the goodness of traffic deities. As my travel schedule permits, I hope to attend hub events.

/Ethan

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Reply: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: March 28, 2016 at 5:59:09 PM
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject:  [Ietf-hub-boston] Introductions?  

Hi all,

I see that we're up to 36 people on the ietf-hub-boston mailing list and that the list has been very quiet.  There's no need for high volume, but some introductions and indicating what types of social events or get-togethers would be fun/useful/desired would be cool.  I think we cover a wide range of technical interests and different experiences as IETFers.  

This is for us all to self-organize and suggest things as desired.  Rich Salz requested the list.  I don't think there's anything like a strict plan but rather providing an easy way for those of us who are within reasonable distance for getting together to chat.

I'm Alia and I primarily work at home in Arlington, MA but am up in Westford on many Weds..  I'm currently serving as Routing AD and I've been involved in the IETF since Nov 1998.  Outside of Routing, I can be easily interested in neat topics and have paid some attention to various WGs in transport and int.  I'm always happy to learn more about security.  For social things, it's easier for me to get out for lunch than dinner, since I have three young kids, but I can make it out in the evening.

I'm interested in helping encourage good discussions, cross-learning, and so on.

Regards,
Alia

_______________________________________________  
Ietf-hub-boston mailing list  
[email-masked]  
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-hub-boston

---

From: Suzanne Woolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 18:25:56 -0400

On Mar 28, 2016, at 5:59 PM, Alia Atlas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> So - to start, I guess…

Thanks Alia!

I'm Suzanne and I'm currently co-chair of DNSOP and serve on the IAB. I've been a DNS/names nerd for longer than I like to think about; I've also done policy work through involvement with ICANN, the IP address registries, and occasionally ISOC.  I'm interested in all of those things, and in internet operations (although it's been a long time since anyone let me touch a router) and measuring all the stuff we're doing so we have some idea how it's actually behaving. Topics I wish I had more excuse to work on include privacy as we might be able to support it in the infrastructure (perpass, the IAB privsec program) and how we preserve openness and interoperability at ever-increasing "internet scale".

I'm currently a self-employed consultant primarily on DNS infrastructure and policy topics. I live out in the suburbs (Beverly, on the North Shore)-- MBTA is my friend.  Like many of us I work from home when I'm not traveling. I'm generally willing to come into Boston/Cambridge for a meeting or sometimes just to get out of the house.

I will however be in Buenos Aires next week.

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 18:30:44 -0400

I'm Ted. I work for Nominum. We make high performance DNS servers and build
applications on top of that. Currently working on homenets, and will be
presenting the homenet Nanjing and service discovery architecture in Buenos
Aires.   I live in Brattleboro, Vermont, so not exactly in the Boston area,
but I think Boston is the closest tech hub to me. :)

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 20:59:34 -0400

Ok.  I'm John Klensin, and have some qualifications as an
Internet Old Fart although I've almost always focused on
applications and the things needed to support them rather how
the network works.  Depending on how one counts, my involvement
in aspects of this work goes back to the mid-1960s, contemporary
with Licklider's "Intergalactic Computer Networks" paper and de
Sola Pool's "Contact Networks" one (I worked for and with both).
I do have a gray beard although it is not as impressive as,
e.g., Scott Bradner's.

I leave in Cambridge, MA.  For most of the last 15 years or so,
I've worked primarily as a consultant and out of my house.

I'm a Behavior-oriented political scientist by training with a
strong background in statistical and measurement methods,
organizational behavior, text analysis and information
retrieval, and several other things that don't have much to do
with the Internet... except when they do.   I've got some
history with Internet policy development and administration,
including the formation of a number of IANA policies (not just
related to the DNS).

In the IETF, I've been Applications AD, an IAB member and Chair,
contributor to or author of a lot of RFCs both technical and
otherwise, and have led (as Chair, Co-Chair, or with some
invented title) a number of WGs both technical and
procedure-developing.  Some people believe I still know
something about email.   I've spent the vast majority of my IETF
technical time in the last decade or so on internationalization
issues although, for example, I've been working on identifier
issues on and off for much longer than that, am co-editor of
some documents for URNBIS, and serve as IAB's liaison to ISO
TC46 which deals with libraries, information systems,
classification and identification aspects of publishing, and
similar topics.

I have a reputation for writing messages that are too long and
analytical for anyone to take the time to read, so I will stop
now to see if I can provide at least one counterexample.

Oh... not going to Buenos Aires, but Westford is a bit of a haul
for me so probably won't make the trip unless there is
significant interest in something I'm working on... or maybe if
people want to sit around during the plenaries and develop a
local bad attitude discussion :-)

    john

---

From: John Leslie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 22:01:31 -0400

John C Klensin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>... 
> Some people believe I still know something about email...

   Not I! But John _does_ know more than anyone else...

> I've spent the vast majority of my IETF technical time in the last
> decade or so on internationalization issues...

   I'm undecided whether John knows anything about internationalization;
but he _really_does_ know more than anyone else!

> local bad attitude discussion :-)

   That sounds promising! The plenary is scheduled Wednesday, 1640 to 1910
Boston time. There is always an undercurrent of a deficiency of adult
beverages: which means most folks hope to adjourn early.

   A lot of folks _do_ attend the plenary, despite there being very little
to do except applaud when the sponsor is introduced. Nonetheless, many of
us like to hear the open-mike portion. John Klensin probably _would_ say
something during the plenary were he there in Buenos Aires.

--
John Leslie <[email-masked]>

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 09:29:23 -0400

I’m Andy, another old fart with a gray beard, in fact you can find me in
here, from IETF 73:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ai1q4K9pDro/UjIAlfBQGoI/AAAAAAAAAUo/akcJfTCa9mY/s1600/IETF73-graybeards.tiff

I’m right in the middle with the light blue shirt, in front of Ross Callon
and Charlie Perkins.

I’ve been active in the IETF since the late 80s, although my first RFCs
actually preceded the IETF, when I was at BBN working on the ARPANET. I’ve
not been to quite as many IETFs as Ross or Mike St. Johns, but I’m getting
up there. I’m a former member of the IAB and have chaired my share of WGs,
currently co-chairing PALS, and I’m a member of the Routing Directorate. My
current primary concentrations are MPLS, SDN, and NFV. I work for Huawei,
from home in Andover when I’m not traveling.

Cheers,
Andy

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 11:21:43 -0400

Since others are admitting to their presence here I guess I will too.

I'm Paul Kyzivat - another old fart gray beard. But my IETF 
participation only goes back to 2002. Starting then I have worked 
primarily on SIP-related stuff. (I had a number of other computer and 
stds related gigs in the decades before that.)

I'm currently doing a bit of consulting - less than I would like - and 
otherwise doing odds and ends "pro bono".

I hark from Hudson (MA), so Westford isn't too bad a drive. But I didn't 
see any of WGs I care about on the list, so I expect to be participating 
from home for this meeting.

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: Ben Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 11:49:52 -0400

I'm Ben, a middle-aged newcomer with 20 years in netops/eng, split between
enterprise, telco and service provider environments. Westford is very
convenient for me. IETF runs in the family. My folks thought it was funny a
while back when they found out that I worked where Barry Margolin worked
(AS1). Was a member of the MEF TC a couple years ago. Currently paying the
bills as a bit plumber at a CE (IoT) manufacturer that makes learning
bridges that also play music. Am interested in the work around service
chaining and data plane programmability but plan on absorbing as much as
possible at the NEIC.

Best regards,
Ben Robinson

---

From: Raveendra Torvi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 19:14:05 +0000

I’m Ravi, attempting to host IETF-Boston remote–hub sessions at the NEIC :)

I have been an active IETF follower than a contributor. I worked at Avici Systems, Huawei in the past. Now with Juniper since last 5 years.
I am interested in routing area WG sessions related - MPLS-TE, BGP, LDP, and OSPF.

Regards,
Ravi

On 3/29/16, 11:49 AM, "Ietf-hub-boston on behalf of Ben Robinson" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> on behalf of [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

I'm Ben, a middle-aged newcomer with 20 years in netops/eng, split between enterprise, telco and service provider environments. Westford is very convenient for me. IETF runs in the family. My folks thought it was funny a while back when they found out that I worked where Barry Margolin worked (AS1). Was a member of the MEF TC a couple years ago. Currently paying the bills as a bit plumber at a CE (IoT) manufacturer that makes learning bridges that also play music. Am interested in the work around service chaining and data plane programmability but plan on absorbing as much as possible at the NEIC.

Best regards,
Ben Robinson

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 9:29 AM, Andrew G. Malis <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
I’m Andy, another old fart with a gray beard, in fact you can find me in here, from IETF 73:

I’m right in the middle with the light blue shirt, in front of Ross Callon and Charlie Perkins.

I’ve been active in the IETF since the late 80s, although my first RFCs actually preceded the IETF, when I was at BBN working on the ARPANET. I’ve not been to quite as many IETFs as Ross or Mike St. Johns, but I’m getting up there. I’m a former member of the IAB and have chaired my share of WGs, currently co-chairing PALS, and I’m a member of the Routing Directorate. My current primary concentrations are MPLS, SDN, and NFV. I work for Huawei, from home in Andover when I’m not traveling.

Cheers,
Andy

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 8:59 PM, John C Klensin <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

    john

_______________________________________________
Ietf-hub-boston mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-hub-boston

_______________________________________________
Ietf-hub-boston mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-hub-boston

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 20:25:16 -0400

Hullo!  I'm Aaron.  I'm currently a sort of fire inspector at Akamai and
before that an architect / cat herder at BBN and USC/ISI.

I've been part of the IETF meetings since 1996, when a satellite industry
association & my employer directed me to go to the San Diego meeting, find
the End-to-end Research Group, and tell them they needed to fix TCP so it
worked over satellites.  Things didn't turn out as I (or they) had planned
but the result is that I've chaired a number of Transport Area working
groups, learned quite a bit about congestion control, chaired the Internet
Research Task Force, been part of the RFC Editor and consumed a fair bit of
good scotch in the period since.

I'll be in BA next week but would love to help create some social /
networking events.

--aaron

ps. TCP still doesn't work great over satellites.

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 00:39:57 +0000

I've been a remote participant since back when PEM was being developed as a set of RFC's (circa 1993). I've been a regular attendee for the past two years and expect to continue that. My main interest is security. I'm also on the OpenSSL dev team.

I initiated creation of this list.  I am most proud of the fact that "ietf-hub-bangalore" adopted the phrase "emphasis is on decidedly casual." :)

One of my first goals is to host a local "happy retirement" party for Scott Bradner sometime in April. 

--  
Senior Architect, Akamai Technologies
IM: [email-masked] Twitter: RichSalz

> ps. TCP still doesn't work great over satellites.
But now we want to fix the satellites, not TCP/IP.

---

From: Dave Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:23:52 -0400

I'm tale.

Years ago I got my Internet governance and standards start in Usenet.
Now mostly I'm focused on the DNS.  I work for Akamai, headquartered
in Kendall Square, but my home is in northern Vermont outside of
Montpelier.  My usual schedule is to come down to Cambridge every
third week.

Currently in Buenos Aires for DNS-OARC meetings today and tomorrow,
then the Hackathon and IETF next week.