Subject: [Ietf-hub-boston] What next? (was Re: Introductions?)

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 14:57:53 -0400

Sam,

Welcome & thanks for the introduction!  With 50 of us, we should figure out
what would be fun and useful to do.   I think that we have a fairly large
span across the different IETF areas.

I have various ideas - but this is just brainstorming - so please add more
and
say what sounds interesting.

    a) We could plan a lunch or dinner near Alewife (Cambridge/Arlington) -
as a chance to get to know each other better and talk about what can be
interesting.  We could do one up in Westford or elsewhere; those are just
easy for me to suggest or organize.

    b) We could do a bit of a lightening talk session - where people can
spend 10 minutes talking about what they're working on at the IETF and put
it into some context.   I'm assuming that we'd want time to mill around
after and talk with each other also.

   c) We could look at interacting with the local Internet Society chapter
and maybe do a brief talk about what's happening as far as new work in the
IETF.

  d) We could do various types of tools/process discussions on
            (i) how to use better draft-authoring tools (kramdown, possibly
using github
                and draft editing, xml2rfc for those interested
            (ii) how IETF uses consensus and why (RFC7282)
            (iii) what's involved in being a good document shepherd

  e) We could look at asking each other to do talks to provide both some
background knowledge and what the work-in-progress is about.

What would motivate each of you to come?  What would motivate you to
organize something?  IMHO, this needs to be a bottoms-up type thing where
we do what seems interesting to at least a few of us.

Thoughts?
Alia

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Sam Weiler <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'm Sam Weiler.  I've been around the IETF since 1996, focusing most
> recently on DNS and routing security.
>
> I recently joined MIT to do security and privacy work with the W3C.  I
> expect that I'll continue to be deeply involved in the IETF, as well.
> I'm working from the MIT campus in Cambridge.
>
> I see that the list has grown a little in the last few weeks: we're
> now up to fifty subscribers.  I encourage those who just joined to
> introduce themselves, too.
>
> -- Sam
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-hub-boston mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-hub-boston
>

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 20:08:12 +0000

One of the first things I want to do is host a boston-area "retirement party" for Scott.  Am waiting to hear back from him on date options...

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 16:26:53 -0400

Retirement party sounds good.   Presentations sound good.   I wouldn't mind
the occasional group work-together session, although I don't know if
there's a setting for that.   The idea would be to just spend a day doing
IETF stuff in the same room with a bunch of other IETFers, and do a bit of
discussion at the beginning, in the middle, and at the end so that people
who are interested in similar things could collaborate a bit.   I have no
venue in which I could propose doing this, though, unless y'all want to
come to Brattleboro. :)

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Salz, Rich <[email-masked]> wrote:

> One of the first things I want to do is host a boston-area "retirement
> party" for Scott.  Am waiting to hear back from him on date options...
>

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 18:23:19 -0400

We could probably get space at the NERD if anyone knows a Microsoftie

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 4:26 PM, Ted Lemon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Retirement party sounds good.   Presentations sound good.   I wouldn't
> mind the occasional group work-together session, although I don't know if