Subject: [Ietf-hub-boston] Ietf-Hub-Boston tech meeting: Tues, May 9, 4-7pm, Kendall Square

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2017 14:50:19 -0400

The next technical meeting of the IETF Boston Hub will be at Akamai,
150 Broadway (Kendall Square), Cambridge.  (Go into the lobby, there
will be guides.)

The meeting will run from 4 to 7pm.

There will likely be a dinner trip afterward.

Updates will be posted to the ietf-hub-boston mailing list -- visit
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-hub-boston to subscribe.
 
FEEL FREE TO INVITE OTHERS!
 
Our speakers will be:

4:00 Alia Atlas - Welcome and future Hub activities

    What activities should the Hub be sponsoring going forward?  Bring
    your ideas and opinions!  (As if we had to tell you that. ;-)

4:30 Kathleen Moriarty - effects of pervasive encryption on operators

    Increased use of encryption, both stronger encryption (TLS with
    Perfect Forward Secrecy) and Opportunistic (unauthenticated)
    encryption, has large benefits for user privacy, but also impacts
    operators' ability to manage the network.  As we continue to develop
    protocols that are more secure, it is important to understand the
    concerns of operators in order to agree on solutions that protect
    users' privacy but can be deployed without needing workarounds.

5:00 Justin Richer - "So You Want to Run a Standards Group"

    From HTTP to TLS, from OAuth to IP, the internet runs on
    standards. Have you ever wondered how these standards get made? Are
    you in the process of building and standard with a working group?
    Learn how these vital documents get put together, and how to manage
    the stakeholders, requirements, timelines, and inputs that come
    together to make this process work.

5:30 Ted Lemon - stateful/enhanced DNS-SD and the Homenet naming architecture

    I will describe the architectural changes required to move from
    DNS-SD-hybrid to a hybrid stateful model as we currently envision them.

6:00 Rich Salz - TLS 1.3

    An overview of the new features of TLS 1.3 and some gotcha's (from
    the Openssl viewpoint) about configuring it

6:30 Phillip Hallam-Baker - tools for automating writing protocol
     implementations and documentation

    I will be presenting some of the tools I use to automate producing
    specifications.  The main tool, ProtoGen is the most advanced and
    allows me to write the schema for a protocol and the RFC section
    documenting it at the same time.  The wire protocol can then be JSON
    or XML as you fancy. The tool has been used to generate output for C#
    and C but currently the C output is a generation behind.  Example
    output can be seen at:
    https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-hallambaker-sxs-confirm-02.txt