Subject: Re: [Ietf-languages] Registration requests: akuapem, asante

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2017 13:25:10 -0700

I discussed the ISO 639 code elements for Akan [ak, aka], Twi [tw, twi],
and Fanti [fat] with a reputable user of the standard, who reported that
common practice (not necessarily official policy) is to assign the most
specific language code available.

The code element for Akan would be chosen for an item if the person
assigning the code element cannot determine which form of Akan is
appropriate, or if the item identifies itself as being in Akan rather
than in Fanti or Twi.

The proposed BCP 47 variant subtags 'akuapem' and 'asante' specifically
refer to varieties of Twi. A tagger wishing to use one of these variants
clearly would know that the content was Twi rather than some unspecified
form of Akan. Therefore, this feedback seems to reinforce that the
proper Prefix for these subtags is 'tw'.

As Michael approved the subtags back on May 28, and the review period is
now over, I am sending him the records and registration forms for
forwarding to IANA.
 
--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org