Subject: Re: [Ietf-languages] Request Occitan subtags registration

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 15:31:34 -0700

I don't have an opinion on the technical merit of these variants. The
bibliographies seem to show that the dialects in particular, and the
orthographies at least to some extent, are well-defined.

Clerical notes and opinions:

At a minimum, some of the capitalization, punctuation, and spelling in
the proposed Description fields should be modified. For example,
"Occitan" and other language names are always capitalized in English.
Description fields in the Registry do not end in a full stop.

Description fields for Occitan dialects probably do not need to include
things like "Occitan variant" since they all have "Prefix: oc" and
unequivocally refer to Occitan dialects. No reasonable person would
write or search for "fr-gascon" or "zh-auvern" on the basis that the
Description fields did not adequately restrict these variants to
Occitan.

I like that the proposed subtag values for the "writing standards,"
which I take to mean orthographies, are systematic and distinct from the
dialects: 'grmistr', 'grclass', 'grital'. It might be beneficial to make
the wording of the Description fields more consistent as well (e.g. not
"norms" here and "writing standard" there).

I know Michael is moving house at present; I hope he can find some time
before too long to comment on these.
 
--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org

---

From: Michael Everson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 12:30:31 +0000

I’ll need another week. Right now I am unboxing and reshelving a library.

> On 27 Feb 2018, at 22:31, Doug Ewell <[email-masked]> wrote:
>