Subject: [Ietf-languages] Missing M.49 code

From: Mark Davis ☕️ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 16:33:41 +0100

There is one code missing from M.49, the code "680" for "Sark".

https://unstats.un.org/unsd/methodology/m49/

While it is a bit odd for the UN to add that tiny island, it did. So it
needs a LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM so that it can be added to the LSTR
as per https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47.

Mark

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 12:53:07 -0500

In the absence of actual demand, I think we should wait and see whether the
3166 MA assigns a 2-letter code, as it may well do.  SQ is available and
agrees well with the French name of the island, Sercq.

Although Sark is politically part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey, it has its
own legislature and raises its own taxes.  Since the purpose of the M.49
codes is primarily economic, it is appropriate that Sark have its own
code.

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:33 AM, Mark Davis ☕️ <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-languages mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages
>
>

---

From: Mark Davis ☕️ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 19:12:43 +0100

This was added back in 2011 (see recent changes on
https://unstats.un.org/unsd/methodology/m49/). So if the ISO RA has been
sitting on their hands this whole time, there's little reason to think that
they are going to do it any any timely fashion soon. We are getting bug
reports in CLDR that we don't have translations for all the M.49 items, so
we'd like to get this resolved, without resorting to a non BCP47 solution.

680 Sark 2011 Part of the Channel Islands (numerical code 830), issued a
separate numerical code in 2011

Mark

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 6:53 PM, John Cowan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> In the absence of actual demand, I think we should wait and see whether
> the 3166 MA assigns a 2-letter code, as it may well do.  SQ is available
> and agrees well with the French name of the island, Sercq.
>