Subject: [Ietf-languages] Fwd: To ISO 3166/MA: No code for Sark

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 20:20:40 -0500

Here's the response from ANSI.  So there will be no 2-letter code for Sark,
and we are not able to register the M.49 code without amending BCP 47.

For ICU purposes, I would suggest using QS, which is a private code similar
to the SQ code I had suggested.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Todd Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 4:05 PM
Subject: Fwd: To ISO 3166/MA: No code for Sark
To: [email-masked]
Cc: ISOT <[email-masked]>

Dear Mr. Cowen,

Thank you for your interest in ISO 3166.  No, there is not a ISO 3166-1
country code for the island of Sark. The latest ballot on this topic was in
September, 2017, and the motion to assign Sark a country code was rejected
by the maintenance committee.  Sark is considered part of the UK for the
purposes of the ISO 3166-1 standard.

 If you have further questions, I would be happy to speak with you.

With kindest regards,

Todd Carpenter
Executive Director, NISO
Chair, ANSI Technical Advisory Group for ISO TC46 / SC9

Begin forwarded message:

*From: *ISOT <[email-masked]>
*Subject: **FW: To ISO 3166/MA: No code for Sark*
*Date: *February 21, 2018 at 3:25:40 PM EST
*To: *Todd Carpenter <[email-masked]>

*From:* John Cowan [mailto:[email-masked] <[email-masked]>]
*Sent:* Monday, February 19, 2018 6:19 PM
*To:* info <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Fwd: To ISO 3166/MA: No code for Sark

Can you assist with this query?  Thanks.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>* <
[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 5:50 AM
Subject: RE: To ISO 3166/MA: No code for Sark
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
John,

I suggest that you get in touch with your national ISO member directly,
ANSI, on this matter. They are better placed to reply to your query, as
member of the committee responsible for the development of these codes.

*American National Standards Institute*
1899 L St NW, 11th Floor
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1899+L+St+NW,+11th+Floor+%0D+US-Washington+DC+20036&entry=gmail&source=g>
US-Washington DC 20036
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1899+L+St+NW,+11th+Floor+US-Washington+DC+20036&entry=gmail&source=g>

Postal Address:
25 West 43rd Street
<https://maps.google.com/?q=25+West+43rd+Street&entry=gmail&source=g> ,
Fourth Floor
US-New York N.Y. 10036-7417

Tel: +1 212 642 49 00 / +1.202.293.8020 <(202)%20293-8020>
Fax: +1 212 398 00 23 / +1.202.293.9287 <(202)%20293-9287>
E-mail: [email-masked]
Web: www.ansi.org

Webstore: webstore.ansi.org/SdoInfo.aspx?sdoid=39&source=iso_member_body

Cordially,

abel rupari
customer service representative | customer care | marketing, communication
& web | iso central secretariat <http://www.iso.org/iso/home.htm> | phone: +41
22 749 08 88 <+41%2022%20749%2008%2088>

--------------- Original Message ---------------
*From:* John Cowan [[email-masked]]
*Sent:* 13/02/2018 19:19
*To:* [email-masked]
*Subject:* To ISO 3166/MA: No code for Sark

There has been an M.49 numerical code for Sark (680) since 2011, but there
is no ISO 3166-1 code for it.  Does the MA intend to assign one?  If so, SQ
is available and agrees well with the French name Sercq.  If not, please
let me know.

Thank you.

ref:_00Db0ILy0._5000X1PHFNg:ref

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email Security.cloud service.
For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com
______________________________________________________________________

---

From: Michael Everson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 11:24:29 +0000

ANSI’s answer would seem to be wrong.

The internet TLD that applies to Sark is not .uk but .gg. Sark is a part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey which  has the ISO 3166-1 code GG. Although ISO 3166-2 codes could be devised for Sark (not to mention Alderney, or the small inhabited islands Herm, Jethou, and Lihou), no 3166-2 subdiviasion codes have been assigned to Guernsey. 

> Thank you for your interest in ISO 3166.  No, there is not a ISO 3166-1 country code for the island of Sark. The latest ballot on this topic was in September, 2017, and the motion to assign Sark a country code was rejected by the maintenance committee.  Sark is considered part of the UK for the purposes of the ISO 3166-1 standard.
>

---

From: Doug Ewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 10:05:01 -0700

I think if you replaced "part of the UK" in his answer with "part of Guernsey," the substance of the response would seem to be correct.

--Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org
-------- Original message --------From: Michael Everson <[email-masked]> Date: 2/22/18  04:24  (GMT-07:00) To: ietflang IETF Languages Discussion <[email-masked]> Cc: [email-masked] Subject: Re: [Ietf-languages] To ISO 3166/MA: No code for Sark 
ANSI’s answer would seem to be wrong.

> Chair, ANSI Technical Advisory Group for ISO TC46 / SC9

_______________________________________________
Ietf-languages mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages