Subject: Re: [Ietf-languages] Final recommendations to RA for click names

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 07:53:29 -0700

Hugh Paterson wrote:

> On a separate note, what is the history of capitalizing the first
> Roman/Latin character after a word initial click? I'm sure there is a
> history, I'm just not familiar with it.

We discussed this in January 2015, when ISO 639-3 originally added
ǂUngkue, and Michael Everson and John Cowan opposed lowercasing such a
letter. I was not able to find any examples in the wild of such a
convention.

(Click letters *are* Roman/Latin characters, of course; just not
conventional-looking ones.)
 
--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org

---

From: Arthur Reutenauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 16:41:06 +0100

> letter. I was not able to find any examples in the wild of such a

  Neither could I for clicks, but it seems to be current practice for
other caseless Latin letters such as U+02BB and U+02BC: searching for
“ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi” (“Hawaiian language” in Hawaiian), or the language name
“ʼÔrôê” (spoken in New Caledonia), yields a number of examples.

	Best,

		Arthur