Subject: Re: [Ietf-languages] Click letters in ISO 639-3 and Registry

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 09:15:31 -0700

Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

> I agree to all the names you’ve suggested in that email, and to not
> use ASCII fallbacks in the registry.

Thanks. That's one. :)  Hoping a few more people will chime in.

> What about ASCII fallbacks? We will need to give the RA something to put in
> their Latin-1–restricted files. They are currently using ( | || ! ) which
> seem OK, and ( ‡ ) which is awful and not even Latin-1. Can we recommend
> that they use ( | || |= ! ) plus U+0027 for the glottal-ejective-whatever
> apostrophe?

> Actually, they’re only using ‡ once in the UTF-8 file, in ASCII it’s
> =/ which to be consistent we could recommend replacing by =| instead.
> I agree with all the rest.

Yes, you are correct, 639-3 has been using =/ (equal, slash) and not /=
(slash, equal) as I wrote earlier. I am fine with suggesting =| as the
ASCII fallback for ǂ.

[gku] already had the correct spelling with ǂ, [huc] was changed from
=/ to ‡ (double dagger), and [aue] was left as =/.

Ethnologue is currently listing "‡Kx’au||’ein" (double dagger and
two ASCII bars) as a dialect of "Ju|’hoansi" (ASCII bar).
 
--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org

---

From: Hugh Paterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 09:24:54 -0700

I am a little confused with Doug Ewell's email message. My understanding is
that we are talking about ISO 639-3 Registry, but the email references the
Ethnologue. These are two separate data sets and ietf processes only relate
to ISO 639-3 processes. As a proprietary data set Ethnologue is free to
encode things as they wish, my earlier post was to point out that the two
data sets are not consistent with each other and neither is 100% accurate.
I don't think it makes sense to assume that the ISO 639-3 RA should conform
to what the Ethnologue has in in its data set just because it is "the
Ethnologue".

- All the best,
- Hugh Paterson III

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 9:15 AM, Doug Ewell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-languages mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages
>