Subject: Re: [Ietf-languages] Request Occitan subtags registration

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 13:19:42 -0700

Below are some changes I'd like to suggest to the Description and
Comments fields of the Occitan registration forms posted by Benaset
Dazéas on February 26.

These are just clerical suggestions and do not imply any approval or
disapproval of the subtag requests themselves. This will need to wait
until Michael is able to consider the requests.

The principles behind these suggestions are as follows:

1. Capitalize "Occitan" and other proper nouns and adjectives derived
from them, as is standard in English.
2. Do not use a full stop at the end of Description and Comments fields.
3. Replace "Crescent area" with "Croissant area" as the French name
seems to be more commonly used, even in English.
4. Replace "founded" with "developed" when describing an orthography.
Other words could be used instead of "developed," but "founded" is
normally used in English for an institution.
5. Omit "Occitan variant" or similar in Description fields when this is
obvious. The Prefix field indicates the appropriate primary language
subtag.
6. Omit extended historical background not necessary to identify the
variant. Keep these values brief as they may appear in user interfaces.
7. Omit the Comments field altogether if it merely reiterates the
Description after applying (5) and (6).

Please send any comments to the list.

--

Subtag: aranes
Description : Aranese variant of occitan.
Comments: Aranese, occitan variant spoken in the Val d'Aran.

	PROPOSED Description: Aranese
	PROPOSED Comments: Occitan variant spoken in the Val d'Aran

Subtag: auvern
Description : Auvergnat, occitan variant
Comments: Auvergnat, occitan variant spoken in Auvergne.

	PROPOSED Description: Auvergnat
	PROPOSED Comments: Occitan variant spoken in Auvergne

Subtag: cisaup
Description : Cisalpine, occitan variant
Comments: Cisalpine, occitan variant spoken in North-Western Italy.

	PROPOSED Description: Cisalpine
	PROPOSED Comments: Occitan variant spoken in northwestern Italy

Subtag: creiss
Description : Occitan variants of the crescent area.
Comments: Occitan variants spoken in the crescent area, a region in
Northern Occitania first defined by Jules Ronjat in 1913.

	PROPOSED Description: Occitan variants of the Croissant area
	PROPOSED Comments: (delete)

Subtag: gascon
Description : Gascon, occitan variant
Comments: Gascon, occitan variant spoken in Gascony.

	PROPOSED Description: Gascon
	PROPOSED Comments: Occitan variant spoken in Gascony

Subtag: lemosin
Description : Limousin, occitan variant
Comments: Limousin, occitan variant spoken in Limousin.

	PROPOSED Description: Limousin
	PROPOSED Comments: Occitan variant spoken in Limousin

Subtag: lengadoc
Description : Languedocien, occitan variant
Comments: Languedocien, occitan variant spoken in Languedoc.

	PROPOSED Description: Languedocien
	PROPOSED Comments: Occitan variant spoken in Languedoc

Subtag: nicard
Description : Niçard, occitan variant
Comments: Niçard, occitan variant spoken in the lower county of Nice.

	PROPOSED Description: Niçard
	PROPOSED Comments: Occitan variant spoken in Nice

Subtag: provenc
Description : Provençal, occitan variant
Comments: Provençal, occitan variant spoken in Provence.

	PROPOSED Description: Provençal
	PROPOSED Comments: Occitan variant spoken in Provence

Subtag: vivaraup
Description : Vivaro-alpine, occitan variant
Comments: Vivaro-alpine, occitan variant spoken in North-Eastern
Occitania.

	PROPOSED Description: Vivaro-Alpine
	PROPOSED Comments: Occitan variant spoken in northeastern Occitania

Subtag: grclass
Description : Classical written standard for occitan.
Comments: Classical written standard for occitan founded in 1935 by
Loís Alibèrt.

	PROPOSED Description: Classical Occitan orthography
	PROPOSED Comments: Classical written standard for Occitan developed in
1935 by Alibèrt

Subtag: grital
Description : Italian-inspired norm for occitan writting.
Comments: Written standard for occitan inspired by italian written
standard.

	PROPOSED Description: Italian-inspired Occitan orthography
	PROPOSED Comments: (delete)

Subtag: grmistr
Description : Mistralian or mistralian-inspired norms for occitan.
Comments: Standard for written occitan founded by Josèp Romanilha in
1853 and used by Mistral and the felibres. Written standards inspired by
this one or derivated from it (standard of Escolo dóu Po, of Escolo
Gaston Febus…).

	PROPOSED Description: Mistralian or Mistralian-inspired Occitan
orthography
	PROPOSED Comments: Written standard developed by Romanilha in 1853 and
used by Mistral and the Felibres, including derived standards such as
Escolo dóu Po

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org

---

From: Lo Congrès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 10:23:12 +0100

Hi,

We are ok for the changes, but we would like to suggest a modification 
to your proposal for the subtag grmistr. As Escolo Gaston Febus is an 
important graphy people are likely to search, we think it's pertinent to 
have it written out in full in the comments. That's why we suggest this :

/Comments : Written standard developed by Romanilha in 1853 and used by 
Mistral and the Felibres, including derived standards such as Escolo dóu 
Po, Escolo Gaston Febus.../

Regards,

Lo Congrès permanent de la Lenga Occitana

Subtag: grmistr

Le 06/03/2018 à 21:19, Doug Ewell a écrit :
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-languages mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages