Subject: [Ietf-languages] Swaziland becomes Eswatini

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 21:06:28 -0600

ISO 3166 has changed the name of Swaziland ('SZ') to Eswatini, in both 
English and French:

https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:code:3166:SZ

The corresponding change to UN M.49 was made on or just before June 11:

https://unstats.un.org/unsd/methodology/m49/

ISO 3166 is the source of initial names of regions in the Language 
Subtag Registry. There is no obligation for region names in the Registry 
to follow changes in ISO 3166 strictly. However, nearly all region names 
in the Registry do follow a normalized form of the ISO 3166 name.

The new name has the same meaning ("land of the Swazis") in the Swati 
language that the old name has in English.

The capitalization of "Eswatini" in various languages has raised some 
questions since King Mswati III declared the name change in April. The 
spelling in Swati is "eSwatini." ISO 3166 reflects this, but for both 
English and French they use the spelling "Eswatini," capitalized as 
shown. UN M.49 additionally uses the capitalization "Эсватини" in 
Russian, which is not an ISO 3166 language. I also found an 
English-language article on the Swaziland Posts and Telecommunications 
Corporation website that uses the form "Eswatini."

I would like to propose adding the name "Eswatini" as the primary 
Description field and keeping "Swaziland" as an additional Description 
field:

Type: region
Subtag: SZ
Description: Eswatini
Description: Swaziland
Added: 2005-10-16

Comments, please.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org

---

From: Michael Everson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 11:14:23 +0100

Are you sure it’s not eSwatini? That spelling structure is common in Bantu languages. (No, I didn’t go look it up.)

> On 17 Jul 2018, at 04:06, Doug Ewell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> ISO 3166 has changed the name of Swaziland ('SZ') to Eswatini, in both English and French:
> 
> ISO 3166 is the source of initial names of regions in the Language Subtag Registry. There is no obligation for region names in the Registry to follow changes in ISO 3166 strictly. However, nearly all region names in the Registry do follow a normalized form of the ISO 3166 name.
> 
> The new name has the same meaning ("land of the Swazis") in the Swati language that the old name has in English.
> 
> The capitalization of "Eswatini" in various languages has raised some questions since King Mswati III declared the name change in April. The spelling in Swati is "eSwatini." ISO 3166 reflects this, but for both English and French they use the spelling "Eswatini," capitalized as shown. UN M.49 additionally uses the capitalization "Эсватини" in Russian, which is not an ISO 3166 language. I also found an English-language article on the Swaziland Posts and Telecommunications Corporation website that uses the form "Eswatini."
> 
> I would like to propose adding the name "Eswatini" as the primary Description field and keeping "Swaziland" as an additional Description field:
> 
> Type: region
> Subtag: SZ
> Description: Eswatini
> Description: Swaziland
> Added: 2005-10-16
> 
> Comments, please.

---

From: Michael Everson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 11:34:59 +0100

Swaziland or eSwatini? King's new name faces legal challenge

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-swaziland-court/swaziland-or-eswatini-kings-new-name-faces-legal-challenge-idUKKBN1JW1BG

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf-languages mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

---

From: Michael Everson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 15:57:45 +0100

Perhaps you should use this.

Type: region
Subtag: SZ
Description: eSwatini
Description: Eswatini
Description: Swaziland
Added: 2005-10-16

This is sorted in alphabetical order where the UCS default sort gives lowercase before uppercase. 

Michael Everson

---

From: Arthur Reutenauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 17:16:01 +0200

> This is sorted in alphabetical order where the UCS default sort gives lowercase before uppercase. 

  Don’t we have a rule that requires the name coming from the source
standard to be first in the list of decriptions?

	Best,

		Arthur

---

From: Michael Everson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 11:52:10 +0100

I don’t care what order they are in.

> On 18 Jul 2018, at 15:57, Michael Everson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>