Subject: Re: [Ietf-languages] Moldovan

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 10:40:41 -0700

Sascha's response displayed the URL better than my original response.
Apologies for the way my phone sometimes formats mail messages.
 
To explain a bit, registration forms for the Language Subtag Registry
are transactional; they represent a single action (add or modify) and
are never "updated."
 
For example, a subtag 'zzz' could be created, then have its Description
changed, then be deprecated (this could happen e.g. with lesser-known
languages added to 639-3). This would result in three separate
registration forms. The first would be "regform-zzz"; the latter two
would be "regform-zzz-yyyy-mm-dd" indicating the date of the request or
approval. We've had more than 40 of these "dated" registrations already.
 
Registrations that were part of the RFC 4645 or 5645 bulk additions do
not have registration forms. I wonder sometimes what folks are looking
for when they look up the registration form years after the change has
been made. I still shake my head over the cross-reference, in the
Wikipedia article on the Romansh language, to the LSR registration form
for 'rm' that simply added a Suppress-Script. What sort of
citation-worthy authority on the language does that provide?
 
--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Ietf-languages] Moldovan
From: Sascha Brawer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, February 11, 2019 7:04 am
To: Doug Ewell <[email-masked]>
Cc: ietflang IETF Languages Discussion <[email-masked]>

Ah, got it; thank you.

Am Mo., 11. Feb. 2019 um 13:30 Uhr schrieb Doug Ewell
<doug@ewellic..org>:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/mo-20081125.txt

---

From: Sascha Brawer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 19:32:52 +0100

Thanks for the explanation! There seems to be a list of all entries here:
https://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/lang-subtags-templates.xhtml

> I wonder sometimes what folks are looking
> been made. . I still shake my head over the cross-reference, in the

For Wikipedia, the point is being able to fact-check claims in articles.
For example, this footnote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sursilvan#cite_note-wikidata-5ed25969116c8c3d94b94a12bbe06f082a068bc3-v3-3
allows to verify that the claimed BCP47 language tag is indeed the one
being mentioned in the article’s infobox.

— Sascha

---

From: Martin J. Dürst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 07:38:43 +0000

> https://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-subtags-templates/lang-subtags-templates.xhtml

Just a side note:

I'm not sure why IANA calls these templates. Once they are filled out, 
they are not templates anymore, and IANA, being in the business of forms 
and such, should know that.

Regards,   Martin.

---

From: Kent Karlsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 18:22:30 +0100

BCP 47 calls them "completed registration forms", and those on the IANA
site would then be "completed and accepted registration forms"...

/K

Den 2019-02-12 08:38, skrev "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>:

>> being mentioned in the article¹s infobox.
>> 
>> ‹ Sascha
> _______________________________________________
Ietf-languages mailing
> list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-langua
> ges