Subject: [ietf-mentors] FAQs

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 04:31:41 -0400

It has been pointed out to me that not everyone is aware of the FAQs 
that have been put together.  There are two FAQs (one for mentors and 
one for people being mentored) available on the mentoring web page

https://www.ietf.org/resources/mentoring-program.html

Regards,
Brian

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 10:47:05 +0200

i lost my mentee.  and i do not move quickly.  snif!

pierre-alain, phone home!  :)

randy

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 03:58:04 -0500

I'm curious about whether this part of the FAQ item 1 is really true:
"While anyone can volunteer to be a mentor, it is expected that the most
mentors will not hold IESG, IAB, or WG Chair positions (due to
time/scheduling issues)."
I seemed to notice a number of WG chairs were mentors.

And, then there's the one where one must be Nomcom eligible.  That would
automatically exclude all IAB, IESG members including ex-officio.  I'm sure
that info was there when I applied but I guess you all aren't actually
screening? I am not Nomcom eligible as I'm an ex-officio IAB member.

I did find it curious that the individual that I got as a mentee has *alot*
of co-workers that attend IETF meetings.  She hadn't met many personally,
but knew names. It seemed that the only useful thing I've done for her is
to introduce her to colleagues.  That's something I already do on a regular
basis at the Newcomer's meeting.   While I don't think we should exclude
someone from getting a mentor if they have colleagues, it does seem to me
that they'd get a lot more value out of mentoring by their colleagues.   I
looked at the mentee FAQ and I don't quite see where a suggestion of that
nature could be made.

Mary.

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:31 AM, Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>wrote:

> It has been pointed out to me that not everyone is aware of the FAQs that
> have been put together.  There are two FAQs (one for mentors and one for
> people being mentored) available on the mentoring web page
>
> https://www.ietf.org/**resources/mentoring-program.**html<https://www.ietf.org/resources/mentoring-program.html>
>
> Regards,
> Brian
> ______________________________**_________________
> ietf-mentors mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/**listinfo/ietf-mentors<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-mentors>
>