Subject: [ietf-mentors] Query for Vancouver

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 09:16:04 -0400

Mentors,
      I would be interested in hearing which mentors:

1. Are planning on continuing their mentoring relationship from Berlin

2. Are willing to take on new mentors for Vancouver

3. Are not willing/able to mentor in Vancouver

Regards,
Brian

---

From: Scott Mansfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:41:21 +0000

My "mentee" was not in Berlin but is coming to Vancouver.  We are in contact and will meet in Vancouver. 

Regards,
-scott.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Brian Haberman
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:16 AM
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [ietf-mentors] Query for Vancouver

Mentors,

Regards,
Brian
_______________________________________________
ietf-mentors mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-mentors

---

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:31:01 +0000

My mentee and I spoke in Berlin, but he frankly didn't have a lot of questions. I tend to speak with a mentee in advance and on the Sunday to see if I can get them squared away, and then leave the ball in their court to ask questions during the week. 

I'm willing to be a mentor in Vancouver, and willing to take on a new mentee.

> 3. Are not willing/able to mentor in Vancouver

----------------------------------------------------
The ignorance of how to use new knowledge stockpiles exponentially. 
   - Marshall McLuhan

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 19:10:57 +0900

my experience was similar to fred's.  my mentee came in a gaggle of
francophonic grad students, we were friendly and polite.  but i do not
think i did any good.

randy

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:38:24 +0200

The term mentor may be raising the wrong expectations.
Most mentees don't need a lot of help.
(For those that do, there is only so much you can do.)

I have done this about half a dozen times now.
I didn't keep a lab journal, but I think the occasional contact made, the occasional hint not to miss certain hard-to-find work, and the occasional discouragement of going down the wrong path was worth the effort in most cases.

(Of course, if the organizers do expect a deep relationship between mentors and mentees, I have been doing this wrong all the time.)

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Rolf Winter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:43:34 +0200

Hi,

I think I had an experience similar to others. I never actually met my 
mentee in person. We had Email exchange before the meeting but our 
initial meeting didn't happen because he never came to the newcomers 
meet 'n greet where we planned to meet. Later he wanted to meet up but 
the only time slot he could do I needed to go to a WG meeting.

Having said that I would mentor again, even if this time around there 
actually wasn't much that I did. I believe for newcomers it could be 
valuable just to have someone during the meeting who is "assigned to 
you" to answer questions and introduce you to people in case you need 
it. And if you don't that's fine, too. To answer your other question, I 
don't plan to stay in touch with my mentee.

Best,

Rolf