Subject: Re: [ietf-mentors] FAQs

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 05:47:49 -0400

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 03:58:04AM -0500, Mary Barnes wrote:
> I'm curious about whether this part of the FAQ item 1 is really true:
> "While anyone can volunteer to be a mentor, it is expected that the most
> mentors will not hold IESG, IAB, or WG Chair positions (due to
> time/scheduling issues)."
> I seemed to notice a number of WG chairs were mentors.

>From discussion with a few others (and this list), my experience seems to
have been typical: I had a few short emails prior to the meeting.  I made
arrangements for how they could find me at the meeting.  We talked for about
20 minutes to cover things we hadn't covered in the list mail.  I told him I
was available for whatever else was needed and then haven't seem him since.

Providing a little one on one time in email up front prior to ietf (in
astract, you're acting as the person answering a helpdesk ticket) takes care
of part of it.  A table where we can have a set of newcomer volunteers (the
newcomer helpdesk, much like the rfc editor or iana one) covers mid-meeting
questions.  Being willing to continue pairing the person answering the
initial query for conversation continuity seems mostly the required missing
part that can't be served by a helpdesk of some form.

-- Jeff