Subject: Re: am i the only one...

From: Donald Eastlake 3rd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:02:00 -0400 (EDT)

I don't see any problem as long as there are at least 30 or so qualified
volunteers. In the early years of the nomcom, 30 to 45 was typical for
the volunteer pool.

The IETF does not have a defined membership.  While there are always
arguments about the qualification criterion to be eligible to volunteer
for nomcom, it is simple, can not be faked out by pseudonyms on mailing
lists, and provides some balance between getting new people and
respresenting most of those active on the one hand and getting people
who understand how the IETF works and have absorbed its culture and can
reasonable judge the inputs the nomcom gets on the other hand (the same
as a WG chair has to judge the inputs on the WG mailing list).

Donald

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Eliot Lear wrote:

> Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:27:45 -0700
> From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: am i the only one...
> 
> ... who thinks that 59 volunteers for NONCOM is pretty puny?  If you're 
> truly not interested in the future of the IETF I suppose you oughtn't 
> send your name in.  Otherwise, why aren't you volunteering?
> 
> Eliot
======================================================================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd                       [email-masked]
 155 Beaver Street              +1-508-634-2066(h) +1-508-851-8280(w)
 Milford, MA 01757 USA                   [email-masked]

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 07:47:41 -0700

[ moved to the appropriate mailing list ]

> 59 out of how many elligible?

interesting question.  i would guess over 500, but really
don't know.  maybe the secretariat could tell us.

> The criteria to volunteer are pretty strict

tough issue.  i am not fond of the bias toward those who can
travel.  but it's hard to think of other clearly measurable
yet open criteria which select actual contributors.  and i
do think we want nomcom members to be real contributors.

those who have written standards track rfcs (just when we're
moving away from 300 authors on a doc)?  those who have been
wg chairs for some time period?

we discuss this issue every few years, and have yet to come
up with a significantly better alternative.

> not to mention the stuff selectees actually have to *do*.

maybe a bias toward those willing to do some work is not bad
in selecting folk who decide the management and coordination
of the ietf.  :-)/2

randy