Subject: BCP 10, RFC 3777 on IAB and IESG Selection, Confirmation, and Recall Process: Operation of the Nominating and Recall Committees (fwd)

From: James M Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:20:01 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:30:20 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce:  ;
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: BCP 10, RFC 3777 on IAB and IESG Selection, Confirmation,
     and Recall Process: Operation of the Nominating and Recall Committees

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 10
        RFC 3777

        Title:      IAB and IESG Selection, Confirmation, and Recall
                    Process: Operation of the Nominating and Recall
                    Committees
        Author(s):  J. Galvin, Ed.
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       June 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      34
        Characters: 76395
        Obsoletes:  2727
        SeeAlso:    BCP 10

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-nomcom-rfc2727bis-09.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3777.txt

The process by which the members of the IAB and IESG are selected,
confirmed, and recalled is specified.  This document is a
self-consistent, organized compilation of the process as it was known
at the time of publication.

This document is a product of the Operation of the IESG/IAB
Nominating and Recall Committees Working Group of the IETF.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.

----------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe or unsubscribe from this elist use the subscription
manager: <http://lists.elistx.com/subscribe>
_______________________________________________

IETF-Announce mailing list

[email-masked]

https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

----------------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe or unsubscribe from this elist use the subscription
manager: <http://lists.elistx.com/subscribe>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 23:04:36 +0200

Although the RFC is published and the WG officially closed,
I have to mention a hole that we accidentally left. It wasn't
possible to mention this before today, to avoid interfering
with the active process.

The RFC says:

>    5.  The Internet Society President appoints the Chair, who must meet
>        the same requirements for membership in the nominating committee
>        as a voting volunteer.

We say nothing about how the ISOC President picks the Nomcom Chair.
In the past, ISOC had a VP for Standards and the ISOC President asked
this VP for advice. Today, ISOC has no VP for Standards, but does have
IETF appointees on its Board. I happen to know that this year there
was some confusion about where the ISOC President should seek advice
about names to put on the short list. Since the members of the
IESG and IAB have an interest in the outcome of the Nomcom, it seems
clear that they shouldn't be the unique source of advice.

Whenever we do RFC 3777bis, we probably need to add a few words
clarifying that the ISOC President takes advice where s/he sees fit.

The same would apply to the appointment of an arbiter and to the
chair of a recall committee.

     Brian