Subject: [ietf-nomcom] Two (small) I-Ds now available for discussion

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:43:53 -0600

At Russ's request, I wrote a short draft suggesting that the Past NomCom 
Chair issue the announcement of positions being reviewed and the call for 
volunteers. This draft is available at 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dawkins-nomcom-dont-wait-00.txt.

Also at Russ's request, I wrote a short draft suggesting that NomComs be 
able to announce lists of willing candidates to the entire community in 
order to get feedback on these candidates. This draft is available at 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dawkins-nomcom-openlist-00.txt.

Please fire at will, of course.

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:48:08 -0700

On Feb 20, 2009, at 8:43 AM, Spencer Dawkins wrote:

> At Russ's request, I wrote a short draft suggesting that the Past  
> NomCom Chair issue the announcement of positions being reviewed and  
> the call for volunteers. This draft is available at http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dawkins-nomcom-dont-wait-00.txt 
> .
>
> Also at Russ's request, I wrote a short draft suggesting that  
> NomComs be able to announce lists of willing candidates to the  
> entire community in order to get feedback on these candidates. This  
> draft is available at http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dawkins-nomcom-openlist-00.txt 
> .
>

I'd be quite keen on seeing both these updates adopted
into the process.

-danny

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:57:08 -0500

In particular, while getting the nomcom volunteers available earlier is 
a good thing, getting permission to make the list of willing candidates 
public is a VERY good idea.  It would resolve multiple issues.

How do we make something happen?

Thank you,
Joel

Danny McPherson wrote:
>> the call for volunteers. This draft is available at 
>> Also at Russ's request, I wrote a short draft suggesting that NomComs 
>> be able to announce lists of willing candidates to the entire 
>> community in order to get feedback on these candidates. This draft is 
>> available at 
> _______________________________________________
> ietf-nomcom mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-nomcom
>

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:01:51 -0500

The text as written addresses part of the process.  It is not clear to 
me whether it is intended to also accellerate the rest of the process.

If, by the end of the volunteer solicitation time frame, there is not a 
new nomcom chair, should the past chair continue with the:
Posting of the list for challenges
Drawing of nomcom members
posting of selected nomcom members for challenges?

Also, there are two things called for in the process that need to occur 
almost as soon as the call for volunteers:
1) The stating of a timeline for the selection process
2) The defining of the random seeds for the selection process
Is it indended that the past chair perform those two functions (and 
stick the new chair with acting on that?)

I do see value in this acceleration.  But we need to get the details right.

Yours,
Joel

Spencer Dawkins wrote:
> Chair issue the announcement of positions being reviewed and the call 
> for volunteers. This draft is available at

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:42:43 -0600

Hi, Joel,

Thanks for quick and encouraging feedback.

Agree that we need to get the details right.

The draft currently says:

3.  Discussion

...

   This process change covers only the announcement of open positions
   and the solicitation for names of volunteers.  The announcement of
   the pool of volunteers and the source of randomness used to select
   voting volunteers is still the responsibility of the current Chair.
   The goal of this process change is not to allow a NomCom to proceed
   without a current Chair, it is only to ensure that a current Chair
   can begin organizing the NomCom without an avoidable delay, and can
   use face-to-face time at the Second IETF meeting effectively for this
   purpose.

My first goal with this draft was removing a 30-day serialization delay 
(under RFC 3777, everything is full stop until the NomCom chair is 
announced). My take on recent NomComs was that they tended to announce 
randomization seeds later than they called for volunteers, but it would be 
fine with me if the Past NomCom Chair was also tasked with that.

(At the risk of repeating myself for others) I've never served on a NomCom 
and am delighted to be guided by people who have, but I thought that 
establishing a timeline was starting to encroach on the NomCom Chair's 
duties that would be awkward to delegate - what do other people (especially 
past NomCom chairs, who have actually done this before) think?

Thanks,

Spencer

> The text as written addresses part of the process.  It is not clear to me 
> whether it is intended to also accellerate the rest of the process.
>
> Is it indended that the past chair perform those two functions (and stick 
> the new chair with acting on that?)
>