Subject: [ietf-nomcom] Tell Nomcom you will devote 25%

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 07:47:37 -0800

If you are -- or would like to be -- a candidate for an AD position, but
can (or will) only devote a more modest amount of time to the job, go
ahead and tell Nomcom, at your initiative.

Do not let the current time expectation block you from being a candidate.

     State how much time you can commit
     but also state very clearly how you will spend it.

     In other words, define the job as you believe it should
     be done, within the time constraints you set.

And of course, explain your choices of what to do... and what /not/ to do.

I'm told that this has been done before, for candidates who /have/ been
selected.

Let's make it a common and well-known practice.

d/
-- 
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 11:14:31 -0600

Just to level-set here ...

>      be done, within the time constraints you set.

This is roughly what Martin and I have been asking people to do for TSV AD
positions since I joined the IESG in 2013. So obviously, I agree.

> And of course, explain your choices of what to do... and what /not/ to do.

I might offer as a friendly amendment, explain how you can do the job with
the time you are able to commit. Martin and I are working to stand up a new
TSV ART before Martin leaves the IESG in April, for example. You might have
ideas for your area.

> I'm told that this has been done before, for candidates who /have/ been

This has been done before, and for candidates who are currently serving.
I'm not sure who has said what publicly, but it's well-recognized on the
IESG.

> Let's make it a common and well-known practice.

Dave doesn't need me to say this (he's been on more Nomcoms than I have),
but Nomcoms can't select willing nominees as candidates if they're not
willing nominees. The idea is that Nomcoms "do the right thing" with the
nominees they have to work with (which can, of course, include encouraging
additional people to be willing nominees). If you're willing to be
considered as a nominee given certain constraints, please do that. It gives
Nomcoms more freedom to do the right thing.

> _______________________________________________
> ietf-nomcom mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-nomcom
>