Subject: [ietf-privacy] Updated Version of Privacy Terminology Document

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:17:24 +0200

Hi all, 

We have updated the privacy terminology document in time for the
submission deadline:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hansen-privacy-terminology-02

We have tried to address some fo the feedback we had gotten. I believe
the most important aspect was to shorten the document and to remove the
parts that are less likely to be relevant for those working on standards
in the IETF. Still, I believe more work is needed to make it easier to
read. 

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 03:22:32 -0500

This document seems to be very useful in terms of establishing a common
vocabulary.

I have been struggling to express a related concept.

One of the biggest challenges to the reducing delta increase is that legacy
protocol usage is so very leaky of information. For example, HTTP and SIP
leak vast amounts of information about participants and content at the
header level, and typically do nothing to prevent their payloads or
negotiated sessions from leaking. Their delta angle approaches vertical.

As a consequence, it is difficult for other protocols to be more protected.
For example, encrypted sessions typically stand out as "red flags".
Certainly we could use steganographic techniques. But the leakiness of the
protocols among which we are trying to hide makes this much harder.  To
hide, we have to deliberately leak information that is as meaningful as the
normal careless leakage from the protocols among which we are hiding. This
is ridiculously hard.

Lowering the delta of the background traffic enables lowering the delta of
sensitive traffic.

Therefore it seems desirable to do everything possible to increase the
background entropy by encrypting ordinary traffic whenever feasible, even if
that traffic is not suffiently sensitve to justify encrypting it.

--
Dean
On Mar 16, 2011 10:14 AM, "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <