Subject: [ietf-privacy] fyi: FTC To Host Workshop on Facial Recognition Technology

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 21:28:53 -0700

For Release: 09/19/2011
FTC To Host Workshop on Facial Recognition Technology
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2011/09/facialrec.shtm

The Federal Trade Commission will host a workshop in Washington, DC on December 
8, 2011, exploring facial recognition technology and the privacy and security 
implications raised by its increasing use.

Facial recognition technology has been adopted in a variety of new contexts, 
ranging from online social networks to digital signs and mobile apps. Its 
increased use has raised a variety of privacy concerns. The FTC workshop will 
gather consumer protection organizations, academics, business and industry 
representatives, privacy professionals, and others to examine the use of facial 
recognition technology and related privacy and security concerns. The workshop 
is free and open to the public.

Topics may include:

     * What are the current and future uses of facial recognition technology?
     * How can consumers benefit from the technology?
     * What are the privacy and security concerns surrounding the adoption of 
the technology; for example, have consumers consented to the collection and use 
of their images?
     * Are there special considerations for the use of this technology on or by 
children and teens?
     * What legal protections currently exist for consumers regarding the use 
of the technology, both in the United States and internationally?
     * What consumer protections should be provided?

Written reports or studies can be submitted to [email-masked].

The Federal Trade Commission works for consumers to prevent fraudulent, 
deceptive, and unfair business practices and to provide information to help 
spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint in English or Spanish, visit 
the FTC’s online Complaint Assistant or call 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357). 
The FTC enters complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database 
available to more than 1,800 civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the 
U.S. and abroad. The FTC’s Web site provides free information on a variety of 
consumer topics.

MEDIA CONTACT:
     Claudia Bourne Farrell
     Office of Public Affairs
     202-326-2181
STAFF CONTACT:
     Manas Mohapatra
     Bureau of Consumer Protection
     202-326-3263