Subject: [ietf-privacy] Bar BoF at IETF 84: Media without censorship (CensorFree)

From: Johan Pouwelse <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 19:35:36 +0200

Dear All,
At the upcoming IETF meeting I'm trying to organize a bar BoF around
enhancing privacy and reducing censorship.

Hopefully people on this mailinglist are interested in these matters, could
help improve the discussion document or can even attend this Bar BoF in
person.

Bar BoF name:     Media without censorship (CensorFree)
Location:              IETF 84, Vancouver, Canada
Date:                   1st Aug 2012,  20:00 (Wednesday)
Room:                  to be announced
Discussion doc:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pouwelse-censorfree-scenarios/
Bar BoF status:     approved by Transport area directors (see CC:)
Technology status: initial running code
Abstract:
    This document describes some scenarios in which one can imagine that
    the ability of authoritarian regime to censor news dissemination is
    reduced.  It tries to draw some conclusions about what's desirable
    and what's not acceptable for users in those scenarios.
    The CensorFree objective is to standardize the protocols for
    microblogging on smartphones with a focus on security and censorship
    resistance.  Microblog entries are short text messages, possibly
    enriched with pictures or streaming video.  The goal is to devise
    protocols which guard against all known forms of censorship such as:
    cyberspace sabotage, digital eavesdropping, infiltration, fraud,
    Internet kill switches and lawyer-based attacks with the best known
    protective methods.

The discussion document lists some scenarios, but is still very much a work
in progress.
Hopefully the knowledge from draft-iab-privacy-considerations-03 and
draft-iab-privacy-terminology-01 can be included in this doc real soon.

Please reply if you are interested in these matters or have ideas on
this direction.
   -Johan Pouwelse, Delft University of Technology

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 10:56:22 -0700

>Bar BoF name:     Media without censorship (CensorFree)

[snip]

>Bar BoF status:     approved by Transport area directors (see CC:)

Do Area Directors approve Bar BoF nowadays?

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 09:45:33 +0200

On 07/23/2012 07:56 PM, SM wrote:
> Do Area Directors approve Bar BoF nowadays?-- 

No, this status line is misleading.

ADs approve the usage of the meeting room, if there is the need for a 
meeting room.

   Martin

-- 
IETF Transport Area Director

[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division NEC Europe Limited
Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL
Registered in England 283

---

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 19:06:05 +0000

I'm interested in the effort, but not available at that time (or for that matter, very many others). Will there be an outcome summarized to the list?

On Jul 23, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Johan Pouwelse wrote:

> Dear All,
> At the upcoming IETF meeting I'm trying to organize a bar BoF around enhancing privacy and reducing censorship.
> 
> Hopefully people on this mailinglist are interested in these matters, could help improve the discussion document or can even attend this Bar BoF in person.
> 
> The discussion document lists some scenarios, but is still very much a work in progress.
> Hopefully the knowledge from draft-iab-privacy-considerations-03 and draft-iab-privacy-terminology-01 can be included in this doc real soon.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> ietf-privacy mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-privacy

----------------------------------------------------
The ignorance of how to use new knowledge stockpiles exponentially. 
   - Marshall McLuhan

---

From: Johan Pouwelse <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 01:06:51 +0200

Location: Regency A
Date:         1st Aug 2012,  20:00

We got the room assigned, 3rd floor.
For the people not present, I'll update this list with a summary of
outcomes.

Looking forward to meeting with interested people, johan.
----composed-on-my-mobile----
On Jul 24, 2012 12:06 PM, "Fred Baker (fred)" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I'm interested in the effort, but not available at that time (or for that
matter, very many others). Will there be an outcome summarized to the list?
> >
> > Hopefully people on this mailinglist are interested in these matters,
could help improve the discussion document or can even attend this Bar BoF
in person.