Subject: [ietf-privacy] [PET] Call for participation: Interdisciplinary Summerschool on Privacy (ISP 2017), June 19-23, Berg-en-Dal, The Netherlands

From: Thorsten Strufe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 17:29:10 +0200

===========================================================================
		
                          Call for Participation

         2nd Interdisciplinary Summer school on Privacy (ISP 2017)

        June 19-23, 2017, Berg en Dal / Nijmegen (The Netherlands)

                             Theme: Smart-X

                           https://isp.cs.ru.nl

============================================================================

We invite doctoral researchers working on privacy, data protection,
security, surveillance and ethics to participate in the second
Interdisciplinary Summer school on Privacy (ISP 2017) to be held from
June 19 - June 23, 2017 in Berg en Dal (The Netherlands), close to
Radboud University (Nijmegen).

# Teachers

Hadi Asghari (Princeton / TU Delft)
Jeanne Mifsud Bonnici (U. Groningen)
Bibi van den Berg (U. Leiden)
Claudia Diaz (KU Leuven)
Charles Raab (U. Edinburgh)
Thorsten Strufe (TU Dresden)
Linnet Laylor (TILT)
Andrea Matwyshyn (Princeton)
Robin Mansell (London School of Economics and Political Science)

# Background of the summerschool

The interdisciplinary summerschool on privacy (ISP) provides an
intensive one week academic post-graduate programme teaching privacy
from a technical, legal and social perspective. The goal of the
summerschool is to provide students with a solid background in the
theory of privacy construction, modelling and protection from these
three different perspectives. It also aims to help them to establish a
first international network with peers and senior academics across these
disparate disciplines.

Participants of the summerschool are awarded two ECTS (study credits)
and receive a certificate of attendance issued by the Radboud University
attesting this.

For more information [click here](https://isp.cs.ru.nl)

# Theme: Smart-X

The theme "Smart-X" addresses the privacy issues that arise with the
advent of the Internet of Things and the resulting 'smart'
infrastructures like smart grids, smart vehicles, smart cities. The
Internet of Things provides physical objects (like fridges, light bulbs,
thermostats, doors, cars, roads, etc.) with networking and computational
capabilities. These objects are not only sensors (measuring the contents
of our fridge, or the bevaviour of people) but also actuators (ordering
missing items, or switching on the heating). This creates a fundamental
shift in the way the Internet based services can influence our daily
lives, deeply convoluting artificial distinctions that have typically
been made between online and off-line activities. This influence can
both be positive and negative: smart infrastructures promise higher
efficiency (energy conservation, sustainability) and proactive
assistance in our daily lives (care). But they also further blur the
boundaries between the public and the private space, and raise issues of
ownership and control regarding the infrastructures that surround and
permeate our lives. The objective of the summer school is to map out the
IoT landscape with a critical eye on privacy concerns, and to explore
legal, technical, social, political and economic approaches to engage in
the fundamental changes it is expected to bring to everyday
infrastructures and services.

# Format

The summer school is interdisciplinary, involving the following
disciplines: computer science, law and social sciences / media and
communication studies. The school lasts one week, with nine scheduled
lectures (five morning
lectures and four afternoon lectures) of two hours each. These nine
lectures are equally distributed over the three disciplines, with
top-notch lectures from each of the disciplines. The lectures will lay
the grounds for an interdisciplinary conversation among students and
lecturers coming from a variety of backgrounds.

The remaining time is used for hands on working group sessions to study
practical cases. The cases will be offered by businesses, governments,
government related institutions (like DPAs) and civil society/NGOs.
Groups of six students, ideally two from each discipline, are formed to
tackle the cases and report back on their results in a plenary session.

The school is held in a location that encourages dialogue and social
interactions between both the staff and the students, both during
lectures and in the evening. Staff (i.e. lecturers) are encouraged to
stay at the summer school for the whole length of the school. The summer
school is foremost aimed at PhD students from computer science, law and
social sciences.

# Practical Information

The summer school is held at [Hotel Erica](http://www.hotelerica.nl),
Berg en Dal, The Netherlands. The hotel is well equipped and ideally
situated in the woods close to Nijmegen, and easily reached by bus from
Nijmegen train station. Nijmegen has direct train connections with
Schiphol, the Dutch national airport.

## Registration

Visit the following web page to register:

https://isp.cs.ru.nl/registration.php

We offer the following options.

- Single room: € 910 (late: € 1010)
- Shared room: € 730 (late: € 830)
- No room (lunch/school only): € 527 (late: € 627)
  (for local people who do not need accommodation)

Payment by credit card accepted. Early registration fees expire on April
15. Admission after May 15 subject to availability. Registration may
close earlier if the maximum number of participants (40) is reached.

## Contact

For further information please consult our website

https://isp.cs.ru.nl

or contact us by email at [email-masked]

## Organiser

- Jaap-Henk Hoepman (Radboud University /PI.lab)

## Steering Committee

- Claudia Diaz (KU Leuven / imec),
- Seda Gürses (KU Leuven / imec),
- Eleni Kosta (TILT - Tilburg University / PI.lab),
- Jo Pierson (Vrije Universiteit Brussel / imec), and
- Thorsten Strufe (TU Dresden)

## Supported by

- PI.lab - The Privacy & Identity Lab.
- imec
- Radboud University
- 5 GLab Germany

(more support to be announced soon)

-- 
Thorsten Strufe                      Chair for Privacy and Security
TU Dresden                           https://dud.inf.tu-dresden.de/
cfaed/HAEC                             https://cfaed.tu-dresden.de/