Subject: [ietf-privacy] [PET] Call for participation: 3rd Interdisciplinary Summer school on Privacy : July 9-13, 2018.

From: Thorsten Strufe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 09:04:57 +0100

===========================================================================
		
                          Call for Participation

         3rd Interdisciplinary Summer school on Privacy (ISP 2018)

        July 9-13, 2018, Berg en Dal / Nijmegen (The Netherlands)

                             Theme:  AI, Algorithms & Privacy

                           https://isp.cs.ru.nl

============================================================================

We invite doctoral researchers working on privacy, data protection,
security, surveillance and ethics to participate in the second
Interdisciplinary Summer school on Privacy (ISP 2018) to be held from
July 9 - July 13, 2018 in Berg en Dal (The Netherlands), close to Radboud
University (Nijmegen).

# Teachers

- Mireille Hildebrandt (VUB / Radboud University)
- Julia Powels (University of Cambridge)
- Paul Dourish (University of California, Irvine)
- Christian Sandvig (University of Michigan)
- Lina Dencik (Cardiff University)
- Malte Ziewitz (Cornell University
- Robin Pierce (Tilburg University)
- Martijn van Otterloo (Tilburg University)

(more to be confirmed)

# Background of the summerschool

The interdisciplinary summerschool on privacy (ISP) provides an
intensive one week academic post-graduate programme teaching privacy
from a technical, legal and social perspective. The goal of the
summerschool is to provide students with a solid background in the
theory of privacy construction, modelling and protection from these
three different perspectives. It also aims to help them to establish a
first international network with peers and senior academics across these
disparate disciplines.

Participants of the summerschool are awarded two ECTS (study credits)
and receive a certificate of attendance issued by the Radboud University
attesting this.

For more information [click here](https://isp.cs.ru.nl)

# Theme: AI, Algorithms & Privacy

The theme "AI, Algorithms & Privacy" addresses the privacy issues that
arise from the use of Artificial Intelligence and machine learning
algorithms, and studies how to address these issues. Topics within this
theme are
e.g. transparency, discrimination, and adversarial learning.

# Format

The summer school is interdisciplinary, involving the following
disciplines: computer science, law and social sciences / media and
communication studies. The school lasts one week, with nine scheduled
lectures (five morning
lectures and four afternoon lectures) of two hours each. These nine
lectures are equally distributed over the three disciplines, with
top-notch lectures from each of the disciplines. The lectures will lay
the grounds for an interdisciplinary conversation among students and
lecturers coming from a variety of backgrounds.

The remaining time is used for hands on working group sessions to study
practical cases. The cases will be offered by businesses, governments,
government related institutions (like DPAs) and civil society/NGOs.
Groups of six students, ideally two from each discipline, are formed to
tackle the cases and report back on their results in a plenary session.

The school is held in a location that encourages dialogue and social
interactions between both the staff and the students, both during
lectures and in the evening. Staff (i.e. lecturers) are encouraged to
stay at the summer school for the whole length of the school. The summer
school is foremost aimed at PhD students from computer science, law and
social sciences.

# Practical Information

The summer school is held at [Hotel Erica](http://www.hotelerica.nl),
Berg en Dal, The Netherlands. The hotel is well equipped and ideally
situated in the woods close to Nijmegen, and easily reached by bus from
Nijmegen train station. Nijmegen has direct train connections with
Schiphol, the Dutch national airport.

## Registration

Visit the following web page to register:

https://isp.cs.ru.nl/registration.php

We offer the following options.

- Single room: € 950 (late: € 1050)
- Shared room: € 725 (late: € 825)
- No room (lunch/school only): € 516 (late: € 616)
  (for local people who do not need accommodation)

Payment by credit card accepted. Early registration fees expire on May
1. Admission after June 1 subject to availability. Registration may
close earlier if the maximum number of participants (40) is reached.

## Stipends

A limited number of stipends is available. To see whether you would
qualify for a stipend, and to start the application process, see

https://isp.cs.ru.nl/stipends.php

## Contact

For further information please consult our website

https://isp.cs.ru.nl

or contact us by email at [email-masked]

## Organiser

- Jaap-Henk Hoepman (Radboud University /PI.lab)

## Steering Committee

- Claudia Diaz (KU Leuven / imec),
- Seda Gürses (KU Leuven / imec),
- Eleni Kosta (TILT - Tilburg University / PI.lab),
- Jo Pierson (Vrije Universiteit Brussel / imec), and
- Thorsten Strufe (TU Dresden)

## Supported by

- PI.lab - The Privacy & Identity Lab.
- imec
- Radboud University
- 5GLab Germany

(more support to be announced soon)