Subject: [ietf-runners] Running in Japan

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 11:22:16 +0200

Hi all,

with the upcoming IETF meeting in Yokohama I thought it would be
interesting to run up Mt. Fuji on the weekend before the IETF meeting.

I was thinking about just following the Fuji Mountain Race course to
make planning easier. I think it shouldn't be super difficult. According
to webpages we are talking about a half-marathon distance (one way).

A few questions:

 * Does anyone want to join me?

 * Does anyone know something about that region in Japan? I need to get
from Yokohama to Fujiyoshida (and back). How early can I potentially get
there? It would also be great to take a shower after the run and I have
no idea whether this is possible. Alternatively, it might be possible to
leave a bag in Fujiyoshida instead of carrying it up and down the
mountain. I am also not quite sure about the possibility to get some
water along the way or whether I have to carry everything with me. What
is the temperature going to be there early November?

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 09:25:27 +0000

Hi,

I for sure would be interested, but currently I can't run at all due to hip pain. But, please keep me in the loop, in case I get better in time for the IETF.

Regards,

Christer

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-runners [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Hannes Tschofenig
Sent: 10. syyskuuta 2015 12:22
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ietf-runners] Running in Japan

Hi all,

with the upcoming IETF meeting in Yokohama I thought it would be interesting to run up Mt. Fuji on the weekend before the IETF meeting.

I was thinking about just following the Fuji Mountain Race course to make planning easier. I think it shouldn't be super difficult. According to webpages we are talking about a half-marathon distance (one way).

A few questions:

 * Does anyone know something about that region in Japan? I need to get from Yokohama to Fujiyoshida (and back). How early can I potentially get there? It would also be great to take a shower after the run and I have no idea whether this is possible. Alternatively, it might be possible to leave a bag in Fujiyoshida instead of carrying it up and down the mountain. I am also not quite sure about the possibility to get some water along the way or whether I have to carry everything with me. What is the temperature going to be there early November?

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: "Marc Blanchet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 07:49:32 -0400

On 10 Sep 2015, at 5:22, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:

> make planning easier. I think it shouldn't be super difficult.

last time I hike Mt Fuji, it was cold (like freezing) in the upper. 
Therefore, one would need to be equipped for snow and ice. I might be 
wrong, but…

Marc.

> According
> _______________________________________________
> ietf-runners mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-runners

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 12:40:02 -0400

> interesting to run up Mt. Fuji on the weekend before the IETF meeting.

I'm interesting, but 21km is too much for me.
I intend to hash if I can find the time.
  http://tokyohash.org/phpicalendar/index.html

they haven't yet filled in November schedule that well.
I think the Sunday hash is only monthly.

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 10:05:18 +0200

Thanks for the quick feedback.

On the webpage link you sent it seems that it is possible to still climb
the mountain off-season after submitting a "Climbing Plan".
(At least that's my understanding of the procedure described at
http://www.fujisan-climb.jp/en/risk/guidelines.html)

I will have to read through the details of the different routes to
figure out which one would be best for running.

Ciao
Hannes

On 09/11/2015 04:27 AM, 神明達哉 wrote:
> At Thu, 10 Sep 2015 11:22:16 +0200,
> As far as I know the summit trail(s) of Mt Fuji is only open in mid
> summer.  They should surely be closed in November.
> 
> FYI: http://www.fujisan-climb.jp/en/basic/season.html
> 
> --
> JINMEI, Tatuya
>

---

From: 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:44:27 -0700

At Fri, 11 Sep 2015 10:05:18 +0200,

> http://www.fujisan-climb.jp/en/risk/guidelines.html)

Yes (if you get a permission, which is not guaranteed according to the
guidelines), but that would certainly not be a (trail) "running".
It'll be a winter mountain climbing, quite likely in snow.

--
JINMEI, Tatuya

---

From: Ole Troan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 20:07:53 +0200

Jinmei-san, et al,

> It'll be a winter mountain climbing, quite likely in snow.

I don’t think you need permission, although it is probably a good idea to submit a climbing plan for the body count afterwards.

http://www.yr.no/place/Japan/Other/Mount_Fuji/statistics.html

I have a mate who’s been doing Fuji-san in winter regularly. crampons and ice axe for sure.

cheers,
Ole

---

From: Ole Troan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 20:11:44 +0200

> I have a mate who’s been doing Fuji-san in winter regularly. crampons and ice axe for sure.

if anyone is interested in more details I can put you in touch with him (was what it was meant to say).

cheers,
Ole

---

From: Xiaohong Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 11:38:24 +1000

> Therefore, one would need to be equipped for snow and ice. I might be

When was that?

Xiaohong.