Subject: [ietf-sailors] Venetian night

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:13:21 -0500

Do we want to remain on the water for this? Options are (1) extending  
our reservation and (2) moving our reservation back.

Oh, and the weather forecast looks ok (rain on Friday, but only  
partly cloudy Saturday).

Begin forwarded message:
> http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/ 
> portalContentItemAction.do? 
> BV_SessionID=@@@@0166766299.1185329886@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddlhjmjmih 
> cefecelldffhdfgk. 
> 0&contentOID=536952887&contenTypeName=COC_EDITORIAL&topChannelName=Dep 
> t&blockName=Special+Events%2FI+Want 
> +To&context=dept&channelId=0&programId=0&entityName=Special 
> +Events&deptMainCategoryOID
> =

> July 28, 2007
>
> Approximately 30 boats decorated with lights and props reflecting  
> the theme "Chicago's Finest Moments" will participate in the  
> aquatic parade. There will also be an elaborate fireworks display  
> synchronized to music provided by 93XRT. The boat parade takes  
> place along Lake Michigan between the Shedd Aquarium at Roosevelt  
> Road and the Chicago Yacht Club at Monroe Street beginning at 8:30p.m.
>
> Immediately following the parade is a breathtaking fireworks  
> display over Lake Michigan. The fireworks are shot-off at Monroe  
> Harbor. The parade of boats and the fireworks display are FREE for  
> all to enjoy.
>
> Venetian Night is the oldest event the City of Chicago produces.  
> The first Venetian Night took place August 8, 1958, as part of  
> Chicago's Lakefront Festival, a celebration of the City's aquatic  
> recreational facilities. The boat parade in 1958, patterned after  
> the boat parades in Venice, Italy, consisted of approximately 300  
> decorated yachts including a Water Tower replica, Mrs. O'Leary's  
> Cow and Frankenstein's Monster.
>
> Venetian Night was once a multiple day event that featured a beauty  
> pageant and parade on State Street in addition to the lighted boat  
> parade and fireworks show on the waterfront.
>

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:29:02 -0500

On 2007-7-25, at 8:13, ext Lars Eggert wrote:
> Do we want to remain on the water for this? Options are (1)  
> extending our reservation and (2) moving our reservation back.

FYI, Raquel called, and the boat is booked after we return it, so we  
can't extend or move our booking. So let's stick to the original plan.

Which - because I don't think I have mentioned this before - involves  
leaving at the Hilton at about 10:30 on Saturday morning to go over  
to the Marina. It's about 6 miles north up Lakeshore Drive, so it's  
easy cab distance (http://www.chicagosailing.com/dir.html).

I have these folks coming:
	Cullen
	Magnus
	Lars
	Russ
	Jari
	Raquel

IMPORTANT: Please bring cash ($100 if six of us come) to pay for the  
boat. I doubt they let us swipe multiple credit cards.

Stuff to bring include shoes with non-marking soles, drinks and  
snacks, and sun/wind/rain protection.

Lars

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:12:21 -0500

Based on your previous note about no room for rain gear in your 
luggage, I assumed that we would cancel if the weather was bad.  Do I 
need to go get a rain jacket?

Russ

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:51:57 +0200

Russ Housley skrev:
> Based on your previous note about no room for rain gear in your luggage, 
> I assumed that we would cancel if the weather was bad.  Do I need to go 
> get a rain jacket?
> 

The weather prognosis for Saturday seems positive if it holds. But there 
will be some rain passing before that. Also I think there is a 
difference between a little bit of rain and really foul weather.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM/M
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:52:36 -0500

On 2007-7-26, at 8:12, ext Russ Housley wrote:
> luggage, I assumed that we would cancel if the weather was bad.  Do  
> I need to go get a rain jacket?

I don't expect rain based on the forecast, but you never know. I  
didn't bring a rain jacket either.

Lars