Subject: Re: [ietf-sailors] IETF-75: sailing to Stockholm

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:00:50 -0500

I am interested in trying to do this. I expect that I could do one  
way, but not both--but that could possibly change.

I could be an experienced crew member, although probably not a skipper  
since this is so far from my usual waters. My experience includes a  
lot of inland lake sailing on my Spirit 23 on Lake Lewisville in  
Texas, some bay sailing, and a week long bareboat charter (Jeanneau SO  
49) in the Caribbean. (Hopefully more chartering than that by next  
summer.) I've had a number of classes, and hold an ASA basic-keelboat  
certificate and USSailing basic keelboat, basic cruising, and bareboat  
cruising certificates.

Questions:

Do we have any clues about the cost this early in the process? I  
realize it may vary a lot.

Would spouses be welcome? Candace (my spouse) has similar experience.

Any thoughts about the normal conditions for those waters during the  
summer? Would foul weather gear be required? (I am a warm water sailor  
to date.)

Thanks!

Ben.

On Jul 26, 2008, at 8:53 AM, Lars Eggert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> IETF-75 takes place in Stockholm, Sweden, from July 26-31, 2009. A  
> bunch of us are planning to sail from Finnland to Stockholm during  
> the week before the IETF, and to sail back from Stockholm to  
> Finnland in the week afterwards. Coordinating this with several  
> boats and a bunch of international folks is tricky, which is why  
> we're starting to plan this now.
>
> There is a wiki at http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/tsv/trac/wiki/StockholmSailing 
>  that you can refer to for some initial information.
>
> This will be the only email I sent with a wide distribution list. If  
> you're interested in this sailing event (or other events at other  
> IETFs), please subscribe to the ietf-sailors list at https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-sailors 
> .
>
> Lars
>
> PS: Feel free to forward this email.
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:11:28 +0300

So far on the wiki, we have 3 skippers and 4 crew, although I'm sure  
there's many "could-be"s like you and me, who haven't put their names  
down yet.

If there's a proliferation of crew, I guess it would be possible to do  
one-way. Cost is a problem, because some of the skippers own their own  
boats, while some will rent. Costs will be very different in these two  
cases.

On Aug 8, 2008, at 10:00 PM, Ben Campbell wrote:

> I could be an experienced crew member, although probably not a  
> skipper since this is so far from my usual waters. My experience  
> includes a lot of inland lake sailing on my Spirit 23 on Lake  
> Lewisville in Texas, some bay sailing, and a week long bareboat  
> charter (Jeanneau SO 49) in the Caribbean. (Hopefully more  
> chartering than that by next summer.) I've had a number of classes,  
> and hold an ASA basic-keelboat certificate and USSailing basic  
> keelboat, basic cruising, and bareboat cruising certificates.
>
> Questions:
>
> summer? Would foul weather gear be required? (I am a warm water  
> sailor to date.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ben.
>
>
>
>
>> This will be the only email I sent with a wide distribution list.  
>> If you're interested in this sailing event (or other events at  
>> other IETFs), please subscribe to the ietf-sailors list at https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-sailors 
>> .
>>
>> Lars
>>
> Scanned by Check Point Total Security Gateway.
>

---

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:10:48 +0300

> boats, while some will rent. Costs will be very different in these two  

One way is of course possible at least for those non-rented boats. It
might be that even I might be doing this one-way, and ask my friend
(we own the boat together) to take the boat to Stockholm on time for
me to come back in it (i.e. I might want to be few days in Shanghai as
a tourist too meaning I will go there week before or so, and then
leave immediately after eclipse and arrive either directly to
Stockholm or Mariehamnen (unfortunately the direct flight from
Shanghai to Helsinki leaves at 10:00 local time, and the eclipse is
09:40 at local time, thus cannot take that one :-).

My friend will most likely be sailing around anyways during that time,
he was sailing 6 weeks this year, starting from end of June and ending
last weekend...

> > realize it may vary a lot.

For my boat, the costs will most likely be just food and getting
yourself somewhere where you can board the boat. The boat is going to
be sailing around archipelago anyways during that time, and having
some crew members is always nice.

I think the boat renting costs around 1000 euros / week or so for boat
I think people would be interested (i.e. 30-36"), but that can of
course vary a lot. 

> > Would spouses be welcome? Candace (my spouse) has similar experience.

I do not see any reason why not. 

> > summer? Would foul weather gear be required? (I am a warm water  

Good rain gear is always needed, just to keep the bad weather away (I
bought new ones just before I left sailing at end of june, and did
need it only once during my 2 weeks sailing trip. We didn't have any
too strong winds during that trip, but we were most of time inside the
archipelago anyways. Water is normally around 15-20 °C during that
time, thus the inside of the boat is going to be about same unless you
turn heater on, so sleeping bag will help at nights.

On the other hand depending on the wind and so on the water
temperature can change quite rapidly, for example last summer it
dropped about 10 °C during overnight when there was some suitable wind
causing the warm surface water to mix with the colder water under it.
-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:25:53 -0700

> I think people would be interested (i.e. 30-36"), but that can of

FYI, I checked around, and because this is during high season, the  
cost will be more like 1500-2000 Euros/week. Ouch.

Lars