Subject: [ietf-sailors] storms in Baltic

From: Andrei Gurtov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 11:38:18 +0300

Hi,

When/if we start sailing to Stockholm IETF, we should check the
long-term weather forecast and be prepared for alternative plans to get
there in bad weather. This week a heavy storm claimed at least one life
in Baltic.

BR
Andrei

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnewsru.com%2Frussia%2F05aug2008%2Fbaltika.html&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=ru&tl=en

The search for the captain of yacht "Bojan" caught in a storm on the
Baltic Sea, stopped
15:09 time of publication: August 5, 2008, 15:09

In the Baltic Sea rescued crew of the Russian sailing yacht "Boyan."  As
reported on Tuesday ITAR-TASS, the press service of the Russian
Federation Ministry of Transport, rescued six people, another - the
captain of the yacht - is considered missing.

Saved are on board the merchant vessel NORDEROOG.  Condition Yachting
normal, August 7, they will arrive at the port of Rotterdam
(Netherlands).  The yacht left in free drift. The search for the missing
crew member stopped.

"The yacht, follow the route Petersburg - Stockholm - Hamburg -
Helsinki, on the night from Monday to Wednesday hit a storm. Vessel lost
all of the sails and rigging. Captain - experienced sailors Alexander
Konopatkina meaning wave in the sea. Around 02:40 Moscow time crew filed
a signal SOS ", - told RIA Novosti Chief of the Maritime Rescue
Coordination Centre-Petersburg Leonid Belov.

In the course of ascertaining the circumstances of the incident found
that motor-yacht sailing "Bojan" (port of registry - St. Petersburg, the
owner - FSUE "Emergency and Technical Center Minatom), committed voyage
on the route: St. Petersburg-Helsinki-Stockholm-Kil-Hamburg -
Tallinn-Helsinki-Petersburg.

In storm conditions, with wind speeds of 26 m / sec and sea 7 points
during a sharp turn in windward side was thrown from a yacht captain At
that point has already been damaged equipment and parts nadpalubnye ship
equipment. The crew decided to refer alert.