Subject: [ietf-sailors] sailing-to-Stockholm pre-meeting

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 16:03:11 +0200

Hi,

we should probably have a planning meeting in SF regarding the sailing- 
to-Stockholm idea.

The bad news is that the IETF will be smack in the middle of high  
season, which makes it very expensive (> 1500 Euros/week) to rent  
boats. See for example http://www.finlandiasailing.fi/ 
bareboat_en.html. We'd be looking at a three-week rental; 1 week to  
cross, one week there, one week back. If 2-3 others could commit to  
the three weeks I personally might still do it, but it's painful to  
pay for a boat during the IETF week when it can't be used.

One realistic alternative is privately owned boats. So far, Tero and  
Andrei listed themselves on http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/tsv/trac/wiki/StockholmSailing 
. Are there other boat owners around?

A second alternative is to give up on the sailing-there-and-back idea  
and just rent boats for a few days while in Sweden.

Thoughts?

Lars

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:16:53 -0600

On Feb 20, 2009, at 8:03 AM, Lars Eggert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we should probably have a planning meeting in SF regarding the  
> sailing-to-Stockholm idea.
>

Does anyone offer one-way charters in the area?

> A second alternative is to give up on the sailing-there-and-back  
> idea and just rent boats for a few days while in Sweden.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Lars

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 16:35:43 +0200

> Does anyone offer one-way charters in the area?

http://www.midnightsunsailing.fi/kuvat/pdf/hinnasto_2009.pdf seems to  
indicate so.

I never chartered with them (http://www.finlandiasailing.fi/ is always  
cheaper) and I also think I heard some not so good things about this  
charterer. But it is an option we should consider!

Lars

---

From: Raphael Coeffic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 15:44:31 +0100

> and just rent boats for a few days while in Sweden.
I would be interrested in this option as well. Either before or after 
the IETF.

-Raphael.

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:13:41 -0600

> idea and just rent boats for a few days while in Sweden.

I'd be very interested in spending a few days sailing the archipelago  
before or after, but can't commit to a week before and a week after.

Dean

---

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:10:53 +0200

Lars Eggert writes:
> Andrei listed themselves on
> http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/tsv/trac/wiki/StockholmSailing  

As listed on the page I have a boat, that I plan to take to the
stockholm (or near stockholm). I will not be able to take the boat
there myself, so would need some help to get the boat there.

I might ask some of my friends to take the boat from Helsinki to near
Stockholm either week before IETF or during IETF, and then sail back
from IETF, but if some IETFers would like to do that would be ok for
me. So instead of renting a boat, it would be possible to take my boat
some time before and sail it to near Stockholm.

I do not think it is good idea to take the boat all the way up to
Stockholm as it will be busy season there, thus places can be quite
full during that time. It might be better to leave boat to Eckerö or
similar place, and take a ferry from there to Kapellskär or similar
and take the boat from there, or we could leave the boat Furusund or
similar location depending on the time schedule and so on.

My boat is just small enough so that it can be sailed alone if
required, but that requires quite a lot experience (I am not myself
experienced enough to do that too often), but with 2 persons (even if
the other does not know anything about sailing) aboard it is is easy
enough to sail without problems. So it would require one to skipper it
and at least one crew member to take it confortable to the stockholm.

There is space for maximum of 6 persons aboard, but 4-5 is much more
confortable.

The boat is owned together with my friend (Simo Säteri), but he is
just starting on the new work, thus he does not have that many days of
vacations this summer, thus the boat will not be that much in use this
summer. This means that it would be possible to do some weekend or
evening sailings with people around Helsinki area to familiarize
people to the boat (and to allow me possibility to do some sailing too
:-)

So Lars, would you be willing to take 36" ketch to stockholm instead
of renting a boat?
-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:47:09 +0100

Hi,

> So Lars, would you be willing to take 36" ketch to stockholm instead

that's a very generous offer! I'd be interested and available, if we  
manage to take her out a few times before Stockholm and if there'd be  
another co-skipper of at least equal experience, so we can take turns.  
Looking at the wiki, we seem to have sufficient crew with experience.

Lars