Subject: [Fwd: Support for disconnected clients]
From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 02:25:57 +0400

I am forwarding this letter to mailext mailing list.

Please, let me know if anybody implemented CHECKPOINT-aware
server/client.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Support for disconnected clients
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:02:01 +0700
From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

I just got a query from someone in Russia asking about support for 
Checkpoint in clients.  I don't see an indication that this has been
tested 
at a -mailconnect event so I thought it worth asking about.

More generally is the usefulness of focusing on the treatment of those 
connecting over thin wires.

Pipelining would be another feature for this.  Not sure which others.

In general, dial-up access for email is extremely inefficient with
current 
products, and it would be enormously helpful to have products use the
wire 
better.  (Access charges from hotels can be impressive; in two days, my 
dial-up charges from Chiang Mai to Bangkok were US$ 60...)

Comments?

d/

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246
8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273
6464
675 Spruce Drive                            
<http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                
<mailto:[email-masked]>