Subject: Re: [ietf-smtp] Dotless domains and email

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 18:54:47 -0400

(correcting address... sorry)

--On Monday, July 08, 2013 11:36 -0700 Russ Allbery
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> John C Klensin <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> I think this is at least partially true.  The other part is
>> that a fairly large number of entities are spending a very
>> large amount of money trying to obtain new gTLDs.  Many of
>> those entities have ideas and consequent expectations about
>> how usable those TLD are going to be and for what.  If the
>> reality doesn't match those expectations, I think it is
>> reasonable to assume that there is likely to be a good deal of
>> recrimination and finger-pointing.  That might be followed up
>> by litigation and other sorts of unpleasantness.
> 
> Good point.
> 
> I try to avoid thinking about the new gTLDs as much as
> possible, since they just make me disgusted and nauseated.  So
> I missed that this means a bunch of new top-level domains run
> by people who may not realize what works and what doesn't work
> with such domains.

Yeah.  John Levine's note is relevant here too -- I didn't want
to go into that much detail and the note makes it clear that he
has been following things more closely than I have -- but email
addresses are certainly not the only issue or the only things
that work differently or are restricted in ways that those
applying for those domains may not have fully appreciated
(whether they should have been able to figure that out from the
Applicant Guidebook or not).

As to disgust and nausea, you might have ample reason to feel
that way but I couldn't possibly comment.

best,
    john

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 17:09:08 -0400

--On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 13:36 -0700 Dave Crocker
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Folks,
> 
> The IAB just issued a 'statement' on the topic:"
> 
>     IAB Statement: Dotless Domains Considered Harmful
>  http://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents
> /2013-2/iab-statement-dotless-domains-considered-harmful/
> 
> It only discusses DNS-related standards that make dotless
> domains problematic.
> 
> It might help the case against dotless domains to also record
> the email-related implementation problems that have been cited
> on this thread.

Yes.  But, for whatever reason, it apparently didn't occur to
the IAB to either figure that out or to expose a draft of that
document or the fact that they were working on such a thing to
the community, presumably eliciting comments about the various
applications that are also affected by the topic.  If anyone
finds that disturbing, I believe the key phrase is "tell it to
the Nomcom".

:-(

   john