Subject: [ietf-smtp] Registering email status codes for authentication failures

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 14:32:15 -0700

A while ago I did this short draft:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kucherawy-email-auth-codes/

...and then promptly forgot about it.  Given that email authentication is
front-and-center these days, is it worth updating it and then pushing it
through?  Given its size, does anyone have thoughts about processing it
through APPSAWG?

-MSK, not in any particular role this time

---

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 15:01:12 -0700 (PDT)

> through?  Given its size, does anyone have thoughts about processing it

First, there needs to be a discussion about whether DKIM-specific or
DMARC-specific codes are what's called for. I can argue this either way

Second, regardless of the outcome of that discussion, this needs to be at least
referenced by the DMARC specification, if not incorporated into it.

Third, doing this in appsawg seems like as good a place as any.

				Ned

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 15:26:33 -0700

> DMARC-specific codes are what's called for. I can argue this either way

I was thinking the DMARC draft, since it's active, could be adjusted to
include such a definition rather than doing that here.  This one can then
proceed while the DMARC debate resolves.

> referenced by the DMARC specification, if not incorporated into it.

Sure.

> Third, doing this in appsawg seems like as good a place as any.

Thanks.

-MSK