Subject: [ietf-smtp] New/clarified SMTP reply codes 521 and 556

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 10:21:15 -0500

Hi.

Work on the specification to standardize "no mail accepted" uses
for the 521 reply code and to add and standardize the 556 one is
progressing.   draft-klensin-smtp-521code-03.txt was just posted
and, barring some last-minute discovery of problems, an IETF
Last Call should start on it soon.

That work was initiated because of the "null MX" effort but it
not dependent on it.

This is a heads-up to this list of the pending Last Call,
especially for those who don't follow the IETF or IETF-announce
lists.

If you look at it, editorial comments should go to me.  More
substantive ones should probably wait until the Last Call is
announced and then sent to the IETF list and/or IESG.

I'll try to be sure that the Last Call announcement is
circulated to this list also.

    john

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 17:22:42 -0500

The document John talks about below is now at version -05, and is now
in last call; see the last call note at the bottom of this message.
As that note says, please engage in any relevant discussion and bring
up any last call issues on the main IETF discussion list,
<[email-masked]>.

I have also added this mailing list to the "send notices" list for the
document, so y'all will be informed as the document's status changes,
and any IESG discussion will be copied here.

Barry, Applications AD

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 3:02 PM
Subject: Last Call: <draft-klensin-smtp-521code-05.txt> (SMTP 521 and
556 Reply Codes) to Proposed Standard
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'SMTP 521 and 556 Reply Codes'
  <draft-klensin-smtp-521code-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-04-02. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract
   This memo defines two Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) reply
   codes, 521 and 556.  The 521 code was originally described in an
   Experimental RFC in 1995 and is in wide use, but has not previously
   been formally incorporated into SMTP.  The 556 code was created for
   RFC-nullMX.  These codes are used to indicate that an Internet host
   does not accept incoming mail at all (not just under particular
   circumstances).

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-smtp-521code/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-smtp-521code/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.