Subject: [ietf-smtp] Telechat update notice: <draft-klensin-smtp-521code-05.txt>

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 09:26:15 -0700

Placed on agenda for telechat - 2015-04-09
ID Tracker URL: http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-smtp-521code/

---

From: Hector Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 08:59:57 -0400

Hi John,

Reading the abstract of this document only, it was clear to me about 
the intent of the codes and good to add to our SMTP package.  But is 
there a translation of what it means on the SENDER SIDE?   Is it 
permanent filter/block at the domain level?

In our mail package, and it has been relaxed slightly over the years, 
once all outbound mail attempts were tried for a single transaction, 
that domain/email is put into a "BadDomain" or "BadEmail" block list 
to preempt future outbound attempts.  Sysops are given an site URL 
where they can check/manage/request the removal of this block.     I 
had long considered adding outbound logic to try sending at least one 
time, and if successful, auto remove the block.  But it really never 
became a big thing for operators to have this advanced logic. Most of 
the time, the blocks were permanently legit and/or they turn off the 
the auto-blocking logic and just add it manually or feed the list file 
name to some other filtering tool.

Having and using these reply codes would mean that the blocks are 
permanently legit, correct?

Thanks

-- 
HLS

On 3/11/2015 12:26 PM, IETF Secretariat wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> ietf-smtp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-smtp
>
>