Subject: [ietf-smtp] Mail Transfer Protocol over ACP 142

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 17:30:57 +0100

Hi,

Based on some work that Isode is doing with gatewaying Internet email to 
ACP 142 (*) environments, I wrote a draft 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-melnikov-email-over-pmul/?include_text=1>. 
If people can review and provide feedback, that would be much appreciated.

Once I have some feedback I am planning to submit this document to the 
Independent Stream Editor for publishing.

Thank you,

Alexey

(*) - ACP 142 defines a transport protocol for reliable multicast in 
bandwidth constrained and delayed acknowledgement environments

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 10:08:26 -0700

> If people can review and provide feedback, that would be much appreciated.
...
> bandwidth constrained and delayed acknowledgement environments

The draft does not provide a usable citation to 142.  Online search 
doesn't either.  The best I can find is:

    jcs.dtic.mil/j6/cceb/acps/acp123/ACP123B2014.pdf

but it produces a failure sequence that displays a yahoo search page.

Although the document asserts delays in responses, it doesn't seem to 
have any discussion about how that affects overall message transfer 
interactions between client MTAs and server MTAs.  So the document 
provide necessary 'syntax' for the configuration but seems not to 
provide a complete 'system' specification that adequately explains 
overall transaction flow.

d/

-- 
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 12:01:44 -0700

Hi Alexey,
At 09:30 11-08-2017, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>Based on some work that Isode is doing with gatewaying Internet 
>email to ACP 142 (*) environments, I wrote a draft 

[snip]

>bandwidth constrained and delayed acknowledgement environments

I could not find the ACP 142 specification.  From what I read, it is 
used in military messaging handling systems.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 14:02:20 +0100

Hi Dave,

On 11/08/2017 18:08, Dave Crocker wrote:
>> Based on some work that Isode is doing with gatewaying Internet email 
>> to ACP 142 (*) environments, I wrote a draft 
One can access ACPs here 
<https://wss.apan.org/s/CCEB/public/Forms/acps.aspx>. One would have to 
create an account, but access is otherwise free. I don't think I can 
post ACP 142 here.