Subject: [ietf-smtp] Moving RFC4406 to historic?

From: "Kurt Andersen (b)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 14:49:25 +0000

I just noticed (when reviewing the latest 7601bis version) that Sender-ID
was never officially deprecated, i.e., moved to "historic" status. That
probably should have been done as part of the SPFbis work.

For the sake of people browsing the IETF RFCs, what would it take to make
4406 historic?

--Kurt

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 07:51:56 -0700

On 3/22/2018 7:49 AM, Kurt Andersen (b) wrote:
> For the sake of people browsing the IETF RFCs, what would it take to 
> make 4406 historic?

+1

d/

-- 
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net

---

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 09:08:27 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, cleaning this up would be good. It doesn't come up often, but it does
come up.

				Ned

---

From: "Kurt Andersen (b)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 09:52:07 +0000

> Yes, cleaning this up would be good. It doesn't come up often, but it does

I have now posted
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-andersen-historic-4406-etal-00 for this
task.

Please let me know if that fits the bill.

--Kurt

---

From: "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 2018 12:27:13 +0000

> Please let me know if that fits the bill.

Looks good to me.  I hope Dave remembers what the process is for a 
document like this one.  AD sponsored?

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 12:40:43 +0000

On 23 Mar 2018, at 12:27, John R. Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Looks good to me.  I hope Dave remembers what the process is for a document like this one.  AD sponsored?

Yes.

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 13:02:24 +0000

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> document like this one.  AD sponsored?

Seems strange that the abstract and the main content are the same, but if
that's how we do these things, so be it.

I volunteer to shepherd.

-MSK

---

From: "Rolf E. Sonneveld" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 14:02:57 +0100 (CET)

> I have now posted
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-andersen-historic-4406-etal-00 for this task.

> Please let me know if that fits the bill.

it does. 

Thanks, 
/rolf

---

From: "Rolf E. Sonneveld" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 14:07:22 +0100 (CET)

> Seems strange that the abstract and the main content are the same, but if that's
> how we do these things, so be it.

The abstract could be compressed to only the last sentence: 

This document acknowledges that Sender ID did not pass its
   experiment, and changes the status of RFCs 4405 [ RFC4405 ], 4406
   [ RFC4406 ], and 4407 [ RFC4407 ] to Historic. 

/rolf

---

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 07:05:40 -0700 (PDT)

WFM.

				Ned

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 15:37:17 +0000

We actually don't need an I-D for this, and I think we should not use
one.  I propose the following text in a status-change document that
covers all three RFCs 4405, 4406, 4407:

<<
In 2006, two experiments were started for email authentication: Sender
Policy Framework (SPF, RFC 4408) and Sender ID (RFC 4406, supported by
RFCs 4405 and 4407).  After eight years of experimental data (RFC
6686), it was clear that SPF remained in widespread use while Sender
ID did not.  RFC 7208 moved SPF from Experimental status to Proposed
Standard.  This document acknowledges that Sender ID did not pass its
experiment, and changes the status of RFCs 4405, 4406, and 4407 to
Historic.

Alexey, will you create a status-change document with that?  And then
we'll just let Kurt's draft expire.  There's no reason to publish an
RFC here.

Barry

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Alexey Melnikov
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> ietf-smtp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-smtp

---

From: "Kurt Andersen (b)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 11:14:16 +0000

> > Please let me know if that fits the bill.

Ship it!