Subject: Re: [ietf-smtp] external-body, was confusing parts of the mail system, was 250-MARKDOWN

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jan 2019 22:31:21 -0500

In article <CALui8C2Yh_zym=ouVsEuM=[email-masked]>,
John Bucy  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I'd really rather the duct tape be applied to make external-body work
>> better.
>
>Getting the blobs out of band may well be better for large messages. Even
>if binary isn't the most compelling case for this, I would like to see a
>better way to incrementally roll out new features that require end-to-end
>support that is less prone to extended messages leaking out to everyone
>else that isn't ready yet.

Well, you know, message/external-body with a pointer to a URL has been a 
standards track spec for over 22 years.  I haven't checked lately to see 
what my MUAs do with it, but if they purport to support MIME, it should 
work.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly