Subject: Registration of MIME media type audio/sp-midi
From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 23:15:45 +0200

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1B665.EECFCB64
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 <<draft-hamalainen-sp-midi-mimetype-00.txt>>=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1B665.EECFCB64
Content-Type: text/plain;
	name="draft-hamalainen-sp-midi-mimetype-00.txt"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Description: draft-hamalainen-sp-midi-mimetype-00.txt
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="draft-hamalainen-sp-midi-mimetype-00.txt"

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1B665.EECFCB64--

From: matti.s.hamalainen at nokia.com ([email-masked])
Date: Tue Jan  3 16:22:31 2006
Subject: Registration of MIME media type audio/sp-midi 
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

 <<draft-hamalainen-sp-midi-mimetype-00.txt>> 
-------------- next part --------------

                                                          M. Hamalainen 
Internet Draft                                                    Nokia 
Document: draft-SP-MIDI-MIME-type-00.txt                       T. White 
                                                                    MMA 
Expires: August 2002                                      February 2002 

               Registration of MIME media type audio/sp-midi 

Status of this Memo 
 
   This document is an Internet-Draft and is subject to all provisions 
   of Section 10 of RFC2026 except that the right to produce derivative 
   works is not granted. 
    
   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering 
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that      
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts. 
    
   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six 
   months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents 
   at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as 
   reference material or to cite them other than as "work in progress." 
    
   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at 
        http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt 
   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at 
        http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html. 

Abstract 
    
   MIDI Manufacturers Association (MMA) and Association of Music 
   Electronics industry (AMEI) have recently produced the Scalable 
   Polyphony MIDI (SP-MIDI) standard [1]. The SP-MIDI standard has been 
   developed in particularly for mobile MIDI applications. SP-MIDI is 
   currently a working assumption for 3GPP standardization and a 
   dedicated SP-MIDI profile has been defined for 3GPP SP-MIDI devices 
   [2]. Since MIDI information is a very compact media type 3GPP is 
   initially focusing on the application of SP-MIDI for music 
   downloading and messaging applications that require MIME 
   registration. 

    

    

  
Hamalainen & White                                            [Page 1] 
 
                             SP-MIDI MIME               February, 2002 
                                    
1 Introduction 
    
   MIDI content is commonly used in the Internet based on MIME type 
   definitions that have not been registered by IETF. This MIME type 
   registration is harmonized with the typical Internet usage of 
   unregistered audio/midi and audio/x-midi MIME types. Commonly MIDI 
   information is stored in to a Standard MIDI File (SMF) [3]. This 
   MIME registration uses also SMF file format for the encapsulation of 
   SP-MIDI data. The interoperability solution in previous MIDI 
   specifications has been based on common minimum requirements for 
   each playback device supporting the same specification. However SP-
   MIDI supports a wider range of playback devices since the playback 
   requirements have been encoded in the MIDI content. Due to these 
   differences is interoperability mechanism a separate audio/sp-midi 
   MIME type needs to be registered. 
 
2 Registration of audio/sp-midi 
 
   MIME media type name: audio 
    
   MIME subtype name: sp-midi 
    
   Required parameters: none 
    
   Optional parameters: none 
    
   Encoding considerations:  
         
        sp-midi data is binary date and must be encoded for non-binary 
        transport; Base64 is suitable for Email 
    
   Security considerations: 
         
        Many synthetic audio compositions have associated intellectual 
        property rights. It is conceivable that rights owners of sp-
        midi content will want to protect their rights by applying 
        security mechanisms that prohibit the rendering of the content 
        without a legally acquired licence to do so. These mechanisms 
        would be applied externally to the Content-Type defined here; 
        sp-midi content itself is not encrypted internally. 

    

    

    

    

Hamalainen & White           August 2002                     [Page 2] 
 
                             SP-MIDI MIME               February, 2002 
                                    
   Interoperability considerations: 
         
        Scalable Polyphony MIDI (sp-midi) is a Musical Instrument 
        Digital Interface (MIDI) specification developed by MMA and 
        AMEI. sp-midi is based on MIDI 1.0 specification [3] that is 
        essentially standardized as a communications protocol for the 
        transmission of music as electronic data and for communication 
        between a transmitter and receiver using MIDI messages. sp-midi 
        data is stored in Standard MIDI Files (SMF) [3]. 
         
        The sp-midi format [1] provides scalable representation of MIDI 
        content for interoperable music applications. sp-midi files 
        have encoded information about playback requirements and 
        therefore sp-midi playback devices with different device 
        capabilities can play the same content according to composer?s 
        polyphony requirement and Channel priority order definitions. 
        sp-midi player requirements are defined in separate sp-midi 
        profile specifications [2] defining the supported MIDI messages 
        and device requirement. All sp-midi profiles follow the 
        definitions of the sp-midi specification [1]. 
    
        MMA and AMEI have previously defined General MIDI (GM) system 
        standards GM1 [4] GM2 [5], and GML [6]. These specifications 
        are technically related to sp-midi specification but do not 
        support polyphony scalability. Due to the differences in 
        between GM and sp-midi systems, General MIDI synthesizers do 
        not support all sp-midi content and likewise all sp-midi 
        synthesizers do not support all GM content. Thus a separate 
        MIME definition is needed for sp-midi apart from the commonly 
        supported audio/midi MIME definition.  
    
   Published specification: 
    
        There are no previous RFC documents on SP-MIDI.  
    
   Applications which use this media type: 
         
        sp-midi is a synthetic audio format for the flexible 
        presentation of MIDI data on a wide range of playback devices, 
        particularly portable appliances such as mobile phones, PDAs, 
        palmtop computers. 

    

    

    

    
  
Hamalainen & White           August 2002                     [Page 3] 
 
                             SP-MIDI MIME               February, 2002 
                                    
   Additional information: 
    
   Magic number(s):  
        First four bytes (1-4): \115\124\150\144, 
        bytes (23-24): \360\177, and bytes (26-27): \013\001 
    
   File extension(s): mid 
    
   Macintosh File Type Code(s): Midi 
    
   Intended usage: COMMON 

3 IANA Considerations 
 
   Section 2 of this document registers one MIME subtype. 
 
4 Security Considerations 
    
   Security considerations are specified in the MIME subtype 
   registration contained in Section 2. 
    
5 Authors' Addresses 
    
        Matti Hamalainen 
        Nokia 
        P.O. Box 100 (Visiokatu 1) 
        FIN-33721 Tampere, Finland 
        Tel: +358 7180 35789 
        Fax: +358 7180 35899 
         
        Email: [email-masked] 

        Tom White,  
        MIDI Manufacturers Association 
        P.O. Box 3173 
        La Habra CA 
        90632-3173 
        Tel (714) 736-9774 
        Fax (714) 736-9775 
         
        Email: [email-masked] 

         

         

         

Hamalainen & White           August 2002                     [Page 4] 
 
                             SP-MIDI MIME               February, 2002 
                                    
   Author/Change controller: 
 
        Matti Hamalainen 
        Nokia 
        P.O. Box 100 (Visiokatu 1) 
        FIN-33721 Tampere, Finland 
        Tel: +358 7180 35789 
        Fax: +358 7180 35899 
        [email-masked] 

    
References 
 
   1 Scalable Polyphony MIDI Specification. December 2001, RP-03n, The 
      MIDI Manufacturers Association, Los Angeles, CA, USA. 
   2 Scalable Polyphony MIDI Device 5-24 Note Profile for 3GPP, 
      December 2001, RP-0XX, The MIDI Manufacturers Association, Los 
      Angeles, CA, USA. 
   3 MIDI 1.0 Detailed Specification, Document Version 4.2. February 
      1996, In ?The Complete MIDI 1.0 Detailed Specification, Document 
      Version 96.1.? The MIDI Manufacturers Association., Los Angeles, 
      CA, USA. 
   4 General MIDI System Level 1. 1994, MMA0007/RP003, In ?The Complete 
      MIDI 1.0 Detailed Specification, Document Version 96.1.? The MIDI 
      Manufacturers Association, Los Angeles, CA, USA. 
   5 General MIDI Level 2 Specification (Recommended Practice). 
      November 1999, RP-024, The MIDI Manufacturers Association, Los 
      Angeles, CA, USA. 
   6 General MIDI Lite, Specification for GM Lite and Guidelines for 
      Use In Mobile Applications. October 5, 2001, RP-033, Version 1.0, 
      The MIDI Manufacturers Association, Los Angeles, CA, USA. 

Hamalainen & White           August 2002                     [Page 5] 
 

From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 23:15:45 +0200
Subject: Registration of MIME media type audio/sp-midi
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1B665.EECFCB64
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 <<draft-hamalainen-sp-midi-mimetype-00.txt>>=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1B665.EECFCB64
Content-Type: text/plain;
	name="draft-hamalainen-sp-midi-mimetype-00.txt"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Description: draft-hamalainen-sp-midi-mimetype-00.txt
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="draft-hamalainen-sp-midi-mimetype-00.txt"

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1B665.EECFCB64--