Subject: proposed media type registration: application/mathml+xml
From: mf at w3.org (Max Froumentin)
Date: Mon Aug 25 14:25:00 2003

Hi,

Please consider the attached Internet Draft submission: "The
application/mathml+xml Media Type", originating from the Math Working
Group of the W3C.

Cheers,

Max Froumentin, W3C

-------------- next part --------------
Network Working Group	                                     M. Froumentin
INTERNET DRAFT                                                         W3C
draft-froumentin-mathml-media-type-00.txt                      August 2003

       The application/mathml+xml Media Type

Status of this Memo

     This document is anhttp://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt Internet-Draft and is subject to all
     provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt
     Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
     Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
     other groups may also distribute working documents ashttp://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt
     Internet-Drafts.

     Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
     months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other
     documents at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-
     Drafts as reference material or to cite them other than as
     "work in progress."

     The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
     http://www.ietf.org/1id-abstracts.html

     The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
     http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Abstract

   This document specifies the Media Type for the W3C Mathematical
   Markup Language (MathML). MathML is an XML application for
   describing mathematical notation and capturing both its structure
   and content.

Expires: March 2004

1.  Introduction

   The World Wide Web Consortium has issued the specification [MATHML]
   defining the Mathematical Markup Language (MathML). This memo
   provides information about the application/mathml+xml Media Type,
   intended to be used for transferring MathML documents.

   This document follows the convention set out in [XMLMIME] for the
   MIME subtype name; attaching the suffix "+xml" to denote that the
   entity being described conforms to the XML syntax as defined in XML
   1.0 [XML].

   This document was prepared by members of the W3C Math working
   group.  Please send comments to [email-masked], a public mailing
   list with archives at <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-math/>.

2. Registration of MIME media type application/mathml+xml

    MIME media type name:      application
    MIME subtype name:         mathml+xml
    Required parameters:       none
    Optional parameters:

      charset
         This parameter has identical semantics to the charset parameter
         of the "application/xml" media type as specified in [XMLMIME].

   Encoding considerations:
      See Section 4 of this document.

   Security considerations:
      See Section 7 of this document.

   Interoperability considerations:
      MathML [MATHML] specifies user agent conformance rules that
      dictate behaviour that must be followed when dealing with, among
      other things, unrecognized elements.

   Published specification:

      MathML is now defined as a W3C Recommendation; the latest
      published versions is at [MATHML].

   Applications which use this media type:
      Some content authors have already begun hand and tool authoring
      on the Web with MathML.  However that content is currently
      described as "text/xml" or "application/xml", allowing existing
      Web browsers to process it without reconfiguration for a new
      media type.

@@ mention text/mathml from MML1 ?

      This new type is being registered in order to allow for the
      expected deployment of MathML on the World Wide Web, as a first
      class XML application where authors can expect that user agents
      are conformant XML 1.0 [XML] processors.

   Additional information:

      Magic number:
         There is no single initial byte sequence that is always present
         for MathML files.  However, Section 5 below gives some
         guidelines for recognizing MathML files. See also section 3.1 in
         [XMLMIME].

      File extension:
         There most common file extension that is currently in use
         for MathML is ".mml".

      Macintosh File Type code: TEXT

   Person & email address to contact for further information:
      Max Froumentin <[email-masked]>

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Author/Change controller:
      The MathML specification is a work product of the World Wide Web
      Consortium's Math Working Group.  The W3C has change control over
      these specifications.

3. Encoding considerations

   By virtue of MathML content being XML, it has the same considerations
   when sent as 'application/mathml+xml' as does XML.  See [XMLMIME],
   section 3.2.

4. Recognizing MathML files

   All MathML documents will have the string "<math" near the beginning
   of the document.  Some will also begin with an XML declaration which
   begins with "<?xml", though that alone does not indicate a MathML
   document.  

5. Charset default rules

   By virtue of all MathML content being XML, it has the same
   considerations when sent as 'application/mathml+xml' as does XML.  See
   [XMLMIME], section 3.2.

6. Security Considerations

   The considerations for 'application/xml' as specified in [XMLMIME],
   also hold for 'application/mathml+xml'.

   In addition, several MathML instructions may cause arbitrary URIs
   to be dereferenced. In this case, the security issues of RFC1738,
   section 6, should be considered.

   Furthermore, because of the extensibility features that MathML
   defines, it is possible that 'application/mathml+xml' may describe
   content that has security implications beyond those described here.
   However, if the user agent follows the user agent conformance rules
   in [MATHML], this content will be ignored.  Only in the case where
   the user agent recognizes and processes the additional content, or
   where further processing of that content is dispatched to other
   processors, would security issues potentially arise.  And in that
   case, they would fall outside the domain of this registration
   document.

7.  Author's Address

   Max Froumentin
   W3C/ERCIM
   2004, route des Lucioles - B.P. 93
   06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex
   FRANCE

   Phone: +33 (0)492387889
   Fax:+33 (0)492387822
   EMail: [email-masked]

8.  References

   [MATHML]    "Mathematical Markup Language (MathML) Version 2.0"
	       W3C Recommendation. Available at 
               <http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/>

   [HTML401]   Raggett, D., et al., "HTML 4.01 Specification", W3C
               Recommendation. Available at
               <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401> (or
               <http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224>).

   [MIME]      Freed, N. and N. Borenstein, "Multipurpose Internet Mail
               Extensions (MIME) Part Two: Media Types", RFC 2046,
               November 1996.

   [URI]       Berners-Lee, T., Fielding, R. and L. Masinter, "Uniform
               Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax", RFC 2396,
               August 1998.

   [XHTML1]    "XHTML 1.0: The Extensible HyperText Markup Language: A
               Reformulation of HTML 4 in XML 1.0", W3C Recommendation.
               Available at <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1>.

   [XML]       "Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0", W3C
               Recommendation.  Available at <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-
               xml> (or <http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006>).

   [TEXTHTML]  Connolly, D. and L. Masinter, "The 'text/html' Media
               Type", RFC 2854, June 2000.

   [XMLMIME]   Murata, M., St.Laurent, S. and D. Kohn, "XML Media
               Types", RFC 3023, January 2001.

   [XHTMLM12N] "Modularization of XHTML", W3C Recommendation. Available
               at: <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization>

10.  Full Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2002).  All Rights Reserved.

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
   included on all such copies and derivative works.  However, this
   document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
   the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
   Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
   developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
   copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
   followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
   English.

   The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
   revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

   This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
   TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
   BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION
   HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Acknowledgement

   Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the
   Internet Society.
>From [email-masked]  Thu Aug 21 17:15:04 2003
From: mf at w3.org (Max Froumentin)
Date: Tue Jan  3 16:22:36 2006
Subject: proposed media type registration: application/mathml+xml
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hi,

Please consider the attached Internet Draft submission: "The
application/mathml+xml Media Type", originating from the Math Working
Group of the W3C.

Cheers,

Max Froumentin, W3C

-------------- next part --------------
Network Working Group	                                     M. Froumentin
INTERNET DRAFT                                                         W3C
draft-froumentin-mathml-media-type-00.txt                      August 2003

       The application/mathml+xml Media Type

Status of this Memo

     This document is anhttp://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt Internet-Draft and is subject to all
     provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt
     Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
     Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
     other groups may also distribute working documents ashttp://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt
     Internet-Drafts.

     Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
     months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other
     documents at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-
     Drafts as reference material or to cite them other than as
     "work in progress."

     The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
     http://www.ietf.org/1id-abstracts.html

     The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
     http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Abstract

   This document specifies the Media Type for the W3C Mathematical
   Markup Language (MathML). MathML is an XML application for
   describing mathematical notation and capturing both its structure
   and content.

Expires: March 2004

1.  Introduction

   The World Wide Web Consortium has issued the specification [MATHML]
   defining the Mathematical Markup Language (MathML). This memo
   provides information about the application/mathml+xml Media Type,
   intended to be used for transferring MathML documents.

   This document follows the convention set out in [XMLMIME] for the
   MIME subtype name; attaching the suffix "+xml" to denote that the
   entity being described conforms to the XML syntax as defined in XML
   1.0 [XML].

   This document was prepared by members of the W3C Math working
   group.  Please send comments to [email-masked], a public mailing
   list with archives at <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-math/>.

2. Registration of MIME media type application/mathml+xml

    MIME media type name:      application
    MIME subtype name:         mathml+xml
    Required parameters:       none
    Optional parameters:

      charset
         This parameter has identical semantics to the charset parameter
         of the "application/xml" media type as specified in [XMLMIME].

   Encoding considerations:
      See Section 4 of this document.

   Security considerations:
      See Section 7 of this document.

   Interoperability considerations:
      MathML [MATHML] specifies user agent conformance rules that
      dictate behaviour that must be followed when dealing with, among
      other things, unrecognized elements.

   Published specification:

      MathML is now defined as a W3C Recommendation; the latest
      published versions is at [MATHML].

   Applications which use this media type:
      Some content authors have already begun hand and tool authoring
      on the Web with MathML.  However that content is currently
      described as "text/xml" or "application/xml", allowing existing
      Web browsers to process it without reconfiguration for a new
      media type.

@@ mention text/mathml from MML1 ?

      This new type is being registered in order to allow for the
      expected deployment of MathML on the World Wide Web, as a first
      class XML application where authors can expect that user agents
      are conformant XML 1.0 [XML] processors.

   Additional information:

      Magic number:
         There is no single initial byte sequence that is always present
         for MathML files.  However, Section 5 below gives some
         guidelines for recognizing MathML files. See also section 3.1 in
         [XMLMIME].

      File extension:
         There most common file extension that is currently in use
         for MathML is ".mml".

      Macintosh File Type code: TEXT

   Person & email address to contact for further information:
      Max Froumentin <[email-masked]>

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Author/Change controller:
      The MathML specification is a work product of the World Wide Web
      Consortium's Math Working Group.  The W3C has change control over
      these specifications.

3. Encoding considerations

   By virtue of MathML content being XML, it has the same considerations
   when sent as 'application/mathml+xml' as does XML.  See [XMLMIME],
   section 3.2.

4. Recognizing MathML files

   All MathML documents will have the string "<math" near the beginning
   of the document.  Some will also begin with an XML declaration which
   begins with "<?xml", though that alone does not indicate a MathML
   document.  

5. Charset default rules

   By virtue of all MathML content being XML, it has the same
   considerations when sent as 'application/mathml+xml' as does XML.  See
   [XMLMIME], section 3.2.

6. Security Considerations

   The considerations for 'application/xml' as specified in [XMLMIME],
   also hold for 'application/mathml+xml'.

   In addition, several MathML instructions may cause arbitrary URIs
   to be dereferenced. In this case, the security issues of RFC1738,
   section 6, should be considered.

   Furthermore, because of the extensibility features that MathML
   defines, it is possible that 'application/mathml+xml' may describe
   content that has security implications beyond those described here.
   However, if the user agent follows the user agent conformance rules
   in [MATHML], this content will be ignored.  Only in the case where
   the user agent recognizes and processes the additional content, or
   where further processing of that content is dispatched to other
   processors, would security issues potentially arise.  And in that
   case, they would fall outside the domain of this registration
   document.

7.  Author's Address

   Max Froumentin
   W3C/ERCIM
   2004, route des Lucioles - B.P. 93
   06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex
   FRANCE

   Phone: +33 (0)492387889
   Fax:+33 (0)492387822
   EMail: [email-masked]

8.  References

   [MATHML]    "Mathematical Markup Language (MathML) Version 2.0"
	       W3C Recommendation. Available at 
               <http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/>

   [HTML401]   Raggett, D., et al., "HTML 4.01 Specification", W3C
               Recommendation. Available at
               <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401> (or
               <http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224>).

   [MIME]      Freed, N. and N. Borenstein, "Multipurpose Internet Mail
               Extensions (MIME) Part Two: Media Types", RFC 2046,
               November 1996.

   [URI]       Berners-Lee, T., Fielding, R. and L. Masinter, "Uniform
               Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax", RFC 2396,
               August 1998.

   [XHTML1]    "XHTML 1.0: The Extensible HyperText Markup Language: A
               Reformulation of HTML 4 in XML 1.0", W3C Recommendation.
               Available at <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1>.

   [XML]       "Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0", W3C
               Recommendation.  Available at <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-
               xml> (or <http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006>).

   [TEXTHTML]  Connolly, D. and L. Masinter, "The 'text/html' Media
               Type", RFC 2854, June 2000.

   [XMLMIME]   Murata, M., St.Laurent, S. and D. Kohn, "XML Media
               Types", RFC 3023, January 2001.

   [XHTMLM12N] "Modularization of XHTML", W3C Recommendation. Available
               at: <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization>

10.  Full Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2002).  All Rights Reserved.

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
   included on all such copies and derivative works.  However, this
   document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
   the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
   Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
   developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
   copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
   followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
   English.

   The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
   revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

   This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
   TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
   BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION
   HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Acknowledgement

   Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the
   Internet Society.